Sony Vaio Laptops WIth Onyx Screens

Viv-208691 13:29 31 Oct 04

Hi there, im considering buying one of these new laptops with the "superb screen." I havent been able to see one first hand yet but I'm wondering, should i bother??
Are the screens really that great??

Has anyone bought one of these laptops and if so how do you find them??

Thanks a lot, Vsz.

Diodorus Siculus 14:29 31 Oct 04

I've not bought one but have seen a friend using it and to be honest, my own laptop (regulat novatech) is as good as far as I can see. They are bright and clear but soo too are lots of others.

Still, it is a very subjective concept so have a look at one if you can and make up your own mind.

Viv-208691 14:42 31 Oct 04

please go to click here . Sorry that i made 2 posts, wasnt sure which to post on.

v1asco 21:10 31 Oct 04

I have one and find the screen great for dvd & TV watching, which is one of my main uses.

It does reflect a bit, depending on your angle of dangle.

Majority of my shipmates have commented favourably on the picture.

Bugle

Viv-208691 21:14 31 Oct 04

thanks for that rather amusing reply Bugle.

Which model did you buy and have you any gripes with it? I'm considering the A197VP, what do you reckon??

Also, did you get the docking station thingy when you bought it?-useful?

Viv-208691 21:16 31 Oct 04

Bugle or anyone else, please post on the thread which i have referred to above, i will pick up any posts from there.

Thankyou

Also, Bugle, did you bother with an extended warranty?

Forum Editor 23:30 31 Oct 04

because it's in the right place - I've closed the other one.

Viv-208691 02:16 01 Nov 04

ok, thanks, i wasnt sure which room to put it in.

v1asco 23:37 06 Nov 04

vgn-s1vp is my model. Bought mainly for portability as my previous model (z600 tek)was small too and sometimes even 2kg is enough to cart around. It was expensive, mainly I guess for Sony name & size, but I am pleased with it. Does all it says on the box and worked first time.

Docking station I don't have, I really never used the one on the z600. I never connect to other screeens/keyboards and the built in dvd/cd writer is sufficient and I use the memory stick & slot for transferring data to antiquated machines on the ships (usually for printing)via a card reader.

Don't have the extended warranty, tough I believe it costs about £170 for extra 2 years and you can buy any time in the first year.

Fan is a bit noisy, but once again not a real problem as the gentle throbbing of a few thousand horse power from the ships engines & generators overides that.

Overall verdict - Good machine, no hassle and has the Sony feel good factor.

I confess I am a bit of a Sony fan so may be a little bit prejudiced.

Even though mine has been superceded by the vgn-s2vp,. already.

Bugle

v1asco 23:39 06 Nov 04

Line about extended warranty should have read 'though I believe' or was I right in saying tough??

Viv-208691 20:27 07 Nov 04

Thanks a lot bugle. The spec of the machine isnt really that great though is it? Do you think its worth buying almost purely for the screen?

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…