Sony Vaio Laptop approval

darkreign 02:01 04 Jul 10

Hi all

Just configured this laptop on the Sony website, and wanted to know what you think before I buy it. Or even IF i should buy it!

My needs; Word processing, video/photo editing, movies, Internet & some light FPS gaming (not too bothered if this ain't poss).

The specs;

Processor: Intel® CoreTM i5-450M, 2.40GHz
Finishes: Glossy white
Hard drive: 500 GB Serial ATA (5400 rpm)
Memory: 4 GB 1066MHz DDR3-SDRAM
Optical Drive: Blu-ray Disc(TM) writer
Display: 39.4 cm LCD, 1920x1080,
webcam
Graphics: ATI MobilityRadeon HD5650 1GB
Microsoft 2010 & Adobe Acrobat: Office 2010 Starter
Internet security: McAfee® - 60 days protection

Also Included
Keyboard: English QWERTY keyboard
Memory cards reader: SD and MS card slot
AC Adapter: 1 AC Adapter
Ports: Ports: 3 USB + 1 e-SATA/USB
Wireless LAN: Wireless LAN + Bluetooth®
HDMI(TM) output: HDMI(TM) output
Battery: Battery life up to 3 hours

I would prefer a 'shiny white' laptop (no apple macs). The above spec comes in just above my budget (£500 - £600) at £778ish (which I'll manage by going hungry for a few days).

I can't seem to find whether their warranty is 'C & R' in house or what! and the fact that i'm gonna have to wait 4 - 5 weeks for delivery.

So, should I go for it or do you recommend something else?

100andthirty 07:34 04 Jul 10

C&R is collect and return - they come to your location, collect the laptop and return it after repair. 1 year is the likely length of the warranty.

spuds 10:33 04 Jul 10

I could be wrong, but I seem to have seen some remarks about the Sony Vaio and batteries. Might pay to do a search!.

darkreign 13:02 04 Jul 10

...100andthirty, but I cant seem to get that verified on the Sony website! All it says is '1 years warranty'. I'll have another look.

...spuds, i'll do a search, but in all honesty, batteries ain't a prob for me (unless they explode or catch fire). Portability ain't an issue with me.

Other then your points, i take it you both think that this is decent specs for my needs?

thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac