Sony Vaio Laptop approval

darkreign 02:01 04 Jul 10

Hi all

Just configured this laptop on the Sony website, and wanted to know what you think before I buy it. Or even IF i should buy it!

My needs; Word processing, video/photo editing, movies, Internet & some light FPS gaming (not too bothered if this ain't poss).

The specs;

Processor: Intel® CoreTM i5-450M, 2.40GHz
Finishes: Glossy white
Hard drive: 500 GB Serial ATA (5400 rpm)
Memory: 4 GB 1066MHz DDR3-SDRAM
Optical Drive: Blu-ray Disc(TM) writer
Display: 39.4 cm LCD, 1920x1080,
webcam
Graphics: ATI MobilityRadeon HD5650 1GB
Microsoft 2010 & Adobe Acrobat: Office 2010 Starter
Internet security: McAfee® - 60 days protection

Also Included
Keyboard: English QWERTY keyboard
Memory cards reader: SD and MS card slot
AC Adapter: 1 AC Adapter
Ports: Ports: 3 USB + 1 e-SATA/USB
Wireless LAN: Wireless LAN + Bluetooth®
HDMI(TM) output: HDMI(TM) output
Battery: Battery life up to 3 hours

I would prefer a 'shiny white' laptop (no apple macs). The above spec comes in just above my budget (£500 - £600) at £778ish (which I'll manage by going hungry for a few days).

I can't seem to find whether their warranty is 'C & R' in house or what! and the fact that i'm gonna have to wait 4 - 5 weeks for delivery.

So, should I go for it or do you recommend something else?

100andthirty 07:34 04 Jul 10

C&R is collect and return - they come to your location, collect the laptop and return it after repair. 1 year is the likely length of the warranty.

spuds 10:33 04 Jul 10

I could be wrong, but I seem to have seen some remarks about the Sony Vaio and batteries. Might pay to do a search!.

darkreign 13:02 04 Jul 10

...100andthirty, but I cant seem to get that verified on the Sony website! All it says is '1 years warranty'. I'll have another look.

...spuds, i'll do a search, but in all honesty, batteries ain't a prob for me (unless they explode or catch fire). Portability ain't an issue with me.

Other then your points, i take it you both think that this is decent specs for my needs?

thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…