Sony Freeview Unit VTX D800U

flycatcher 18:46 18 May 06

I am contemplating the purchase of this Sony Freeview it is £79.98 at Amazon and has had some good reports. Has anyone helpful information ?
Thanks.

Jackcoms 19:24 18 May 06

"has had some good reports"

Didn't the good reports provide the "helpful information" you seek?

flycatcher 20:21 18 May 06

No they did not. Some originated last year and early this year and I had hoped that someone on this (normally helpful) forum would have recent experience.
I believe that the unit has been on the market for some time.

Jackcoms 21:01 18 May 06

It sometimes pays to help yourself click here=

mikef. 21:38 18 May 06

I bought this for my parents Christmas 2004 as it was number 1 best buy in ?Which, it's still No.1 a couple of months ago, their analogue signal has never been the best but this unit easily picked up all the freview channels and 17 months later is still working perfectly and causing no problems in every day usage for them.

A very impressive piece of kit that is well worth the extra money paid for it.

flycatcher 22:22 18 May 06

Thank you Jackcoms - I had looked at those reviews but I hoped to get a positive report to a specific question.
Thank you mikef. You have responded to my request with just the info I was looking for.
Long term reliability is pretty important to me and apparently justifies the higher initial cost.
I will put the order in!

Stuartli 10:02 19 May 06

>>Long term reliability is pretty important to me and apparently justifies the higher initial cost.>>

Which is why you pay more for Sony and similar Freeview boxes rather than the £30 from the local supermarket types.

By the way the most highly rated Freeview box is probably the Humax F2 Fox-T, which has been on sale for at least two years and always (unsurprisingly) receives glowing reviews.

My best mate has sold a large number of this Humax model since it first came out and customers have always been very satisfied.

See:

click here

click here

click here

Stuartli 10:08 19 May 06

Forgot this one:

click here

Number of other models are reviewed on this site as well.

flycatcher 22:34 19 May 06

Thanks for you help everyone.
Now I just have to make up my mind.

GRFT 15:27 21 May 06

I've had the Sony for about two years now and have to say I'm very pleased with it. My previous unit worked OK but now and then the picture would would break up briefly and I thought maybe my antenna installation wasn't up to it, but since installing the Sony this no longer happens.
Its audio performance is also first-rate, with the DAB radio being impressive(the audio output is connected to the stereo system allowing a direct comparison to be be made with FM radio.)

The only complaint I have, and this applies to most makes of these units, is that there is no display window to allow you to see which channel is selected. This is particularly a nuisance where the radio channels are concerned.

Stuartli 15:39 21 May 06

Despite your belief, if you have a Sony Freeview set top box, it is not DAB that's available - you are receiving the radio stations that are broadcast on Freeview (i.e. DTB).

In fact these are usually superior to many DAB broadcasts as a higher bit rate is used. Some DAB stations not only strongly compress the signal but even transmit in mono...:-)

You'll find a list of DAB and DTB audio quality at:

click here

There are several other very interesting pages on this website on the subject of digital TV and radio transmissions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…