SONY DVD Writer Problems - Again!!!

BigMoFoT 14:55 17 Dec 03

With strong referral to this thread:-
click here

My Sony DVD DRU500 AX drive has yet again developed a fault and needs to be repaired! And again after numerous phone calls finally got through to an advisor. As it is already a replacement drive the serial no. was registered to someone else, so that matter had to be cleared up first. However they did arrange a collection the next day with a turnaround of 5 - 10 days..

Not bad but this is the second drive in less than a year - and it is supposed to be top of the range! Am I just unlucky or what!!!

Stuartli 16:33 17 Dec 03

No, CD/DVD-ROM drives and, to a much greater extent, rewriter drives are not the most robust of components - I had two TDK Vortex (rebadged Plextor models) replaced in less than four months after buying the first and ended up with a twice as fast CyClone drive FOC.

The manufacturers' websites detail the anticipated MTU life span if you check the specifications of such drives.

That's why rewriters should be kept for the sole task of burning and a CD or DVD-ROM drive used for audio, DVD replay and software installation - cheaper to replace the latter drives than a rewriter.

ajm 18:30 18 Dec 03

PC world are selling the new Sony DRU510AX for £129.99. a bargain considering that i paid £299 for my DRU500AX about 3-4 months ago

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…