Sony DSC-V1 5 megapixel camera

georgemac 11:56 07 Apr 04

Am looking to upgrade from my 2.1 MP fuji finepix 2400, and note the above camera is top of the reviews in PCA for the intermediate section.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with it?

I know I'll have to buy an additional memory card and spare battery at the minimum, cheapest I have seen it is at click here pixmania - never used them before or click here ebuyer although last week it was £325 and now it's gone up to £360!! Ebuyer also had a wireless router I was looking at for £43 over a week ago and it jumped to £75 - what's going on at ebuyer?

It's a lot of cash and I don't want to buy a duff camera, I'm hoping it will do me a long time, and I want to be able to get some pretty decent sized photos printed.

byfordr 12:28 07 Apr 04

You may want to try something from the Olympus range (assuming your fuji takes XD cards) I've got a 5mp C-50 click here £225 Olympus C-60 click here

I seem to remember the esteemed stuartli had a few problems with pixmania.

HTH

R

georgemac 12:57 07 Apr 04

my finepix has smartmedia cards but I am selling the camera, cards, card reader etc to a friend to it does not matter what type of memory the new camera has.

I do wonder if pca tests all makes of cameras, because I've never seen a fuji in the best buys. There are so many reviews online that it's hard to decide what to go for, I may buy a camera magazine and see if that helps.

I queried ebuyer with an enote about the wireless router I looked at and they said the source price must have increased. I never ordered it because I wanted to wait until I got home to make sure there was someone there to recieve delivery - a big mistake!

Any other advise on cameras about 5 MP welcome, I want to have the option to add other lenses if my interest increases, for the moment I'm just a point a shoot photographer.

byfordr 13:22 07 Apr 04

If you want to mess around with extra lenses look towards a prosumer digital slr then... Canon click here= or Olympus E-20, E-10 etc not cheap!

GroupFC 13:38 07 Apr 04

Not very clued up on the cameras, but - I used Pixmania some time ago to buy a digital camcorder and I found them to be first class. They were able to answer my questions about the product without any trouble and I was able to track my order through all the stages from its despatch in Paris to delivery at my place of work. Not that I really needed to as the order was placed at 4:00pm on Wednesday and in my hands at 10:00am on Friday!

BTW, byfordr, I'm not sure Stuartli problems were with Pixmania, but with another company based in France. Of course, I may be completely wrong!

Teddy Jeff 13:49 07 Apr 04

If you can afford it the Canon EOS-300D is excellent I purchased one from Pixmania last week one snag was the instructions were all in french but the rest of the service was OK.

Southernboy 14:27 07 Apr 04

They do a digital camera in connection with Leica, and a new release, with a Leica lens, looks good quality and excellent value for money.

It is clear that PCA cannot review more than just a few models.

Has anyone used a Panasonic?

Stuartli 15:02 07 Apr 04

Actually it was Nomatica who caused me weeks of grief, despair, loathing and eventual credit company refund for a Sony digital camcorder, the replacement for which disappeared deep in the bowels of the French postal service...:-)

Entende Cordiale? Don't make me laugh.

The above advice is all good, especially to buy a product from long established marques (and that includes Fuji, which has particularly embraced the digital revolution almost from the beginning in all areas).

However, buying on specification is not enough. You need to see, feel and handle photographic equipment to be sure that it will suit you.

That's why I always suggest narrowing down the choice to two or three models and then visiting your nearest Jessops branch.

You will be able to try out and handle these particular models with the knowledge that Jessops is normally able to price match.

I wouldn't suggest such a thing otherwise, as it would be completely unethical to do this and then buy equipment elsewhere, perhaps to save only a few pounds.

Stuartli 15:03 07 Apr 04

My son has the Fuji Finepix 2400 - cracking little camera that has produced many hundreds of excellent pix.

georgemac 15:50 07 Apr 04

thanks for the advice, will be at Gatwick this weekend, and if I recall from last time I checked in, you were allowed to buy the duty free goods (apart from cigs & spirits) and there was quite a large electronics shop there, but I cannot recall the name of it - can anyone remember?

might be able to grab a bargain.

anchor 16:25 07 Apr 04

My friend in the USA has one. We exchange pictures on a regular basis, (via e-mail), and I can say that the results are excellent!.

Be prepared for large files sizes at best resolution, and low compression; (about 2.3Mb).

I could send you one to examine,(just as it came out of the camera), if you have the mailbox capacity, and have broadband.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…