Sonic toothbrush, anyone?

Graham. 09:11 25 Feb 09

After another expensive 'scrape and polish' session at the dentists, I'm looking into the latest 'sonic' toothbrushes, such as click here which claim to remove plaque.

Just a little concerned it may loosen my fillings, though. Anyone using one, please?

canarieslover 09:26 25 Feb 09

I think the marketing is more to loosen your wallet. I don't think they would make it powerful enough to affect fillings, just think of the possibility for litigation that would give.

Stuartli 10:39 25 Feb 09

It's not the toothbrushes which claim to remove plaque, only the manufacturers...:-)

See:

click here

click here

Noels 12:09 25 Feb 09

My wife and I both have Philips Sonicare toothbrushes. We certainly didn't pay the price quoted by Amazon but then there are several models.We have had them for about five yrs and are very pleased with the results. You have to replace the heads at regular intervals. The heads cost about £10 each but last a reasonable. Before the Philips we had Oral B toothbrushes with reciprocating brush heads. There is not alot to choose between the two types but I think we prefer the Sonicare.We certainly would never go back to an ordinary type brush again.
Shop around on the web for best buys.
Regards
Noels

oldbeefer2 13:28 25 Feb 09

My other half is a hygenist - she swears by electric toothbrushes but, even with careful use of the Braun one that I have, I still have a considerable amount of scale build-up that needs a scale and polish to remove.

Graham. 14:13 25 Feb 09

Ahh, but is yours sonic?

Graham. 14:18 25 Feb 09
  KremmenUK 14:57 25 Feb 09

There are Braun electric brushes of varying qualities. I used to run the cheaper model and that certainly didn't shift the plaque.
I upgraded to the professional 8000 series and that makes a big difference with it's oscillating and higher speed.

Diemmess 18:34 25 Feb 09

"Just a little concerned it may loosen my fillings, though. Anyone using one, please?"

No properly placed filling will fail through use/misuse of a toothbrush. ordinary eating imoses far greater mechanical and thermal stress

Whatever you use there is no quick-fix.
Sonicare and Oral B are both good at what they do.
They do it faster than a normal brush but speed may overlook thoroughness.
Though floss is fiddly and tedious, the perfectionist will use that as well, and a mouthwash....?

Use a tiny amount of any well known brand of toothpaste. Ignore those that claim to transform your smile, they are probably very abrasive, and the hard enamel cover does not replace itself.

laurie53 19:45 25 Feb 09

One thing to note is that if you don't have a shaverpoint in the bathroom they need recharging every 3 or 4 days.

citadel 21:41 25 Feb 09

I have one that just spins, the one's that also vibrate cause a slight pain where I have fillings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac