Sometimes it DOES pay to moan - AOL

CurlyWhirly 14:59 29 May 05

I am not really a person who likes moaning on the phone but earlier on today I rang AOL and asked why my broadband package hasn't been downgraded to Gold as my telephone line doesn't support 2mb
After a few minutes I spoke to a very nice woman and she said that my account had been downgraded with immediate effect meaning that my next payment on 6th June will now only be £24.99 as opposed to the £29.99 fee that I was paying before!
Note that my download speed wont be downgraded just £5 shaved off the price saving me £60 a year!

I had the idea of ringing AOL and moaning as I had read on another forum that in the case of your telephone line already running at the maximum speed (as in my case) then AOL will never downgrade the broadband package automatically as you have to moan that you are paying the same price as someone getting the 2mb package and/or threaten to leave them for another ISP that is cheaper!

I did say that when my 12 month contract is up in October that I would change ISP's and to be honest I was very surprised to learn that they would downgrade me straight away
I thought that AOL would have been sneaky and keep me on the higher price plan until my 12 month contract was up and then try and persuade me to stay with them after offering to lower the price to £24.99!

It seems that they are desperate to hold on to existing customers as is mentioned in various forums.
I will probably stay with them now after having been with them for nearly 4 years and having no connection problems.

Anyone who is on AOL and hasn't been upgraded to their FREE speed boost or been downgraded to a cheaper broadband package if there telephone line is already running at full speed, then moan, moan, moan!
I did and I had a result! (happy)

p.s. it was a member of this very forum that sent me an e-mail and suggested phoning them and I thank him for that. You know who you are! LOL

pj123 16:20 29 May 05

CurlyWhirly, I agree with you mate. I am on NTL Broadband on my main computer but I still have a dialup account with AOL. A year ago I was offered it for £12.99 for 12 months, which I accepted. It ran out this month. I rang to ask if they would do it for another 12 months but was told NO, it will go up to £15.99. OK, so cancel it then. Just got an email from AOL saying I can have the next 12 months at £12.99. Accepted.

CurlyWhirly 16:25 29 May 05

It seems that you don't get anywhere if you are afraid to have the occasional moan then as your own example shows!

I wish I had moaned around 5 months ago when AOL first started their FREE upgrade policy as it would have saved me £25! LOL

spuds 18:39 29 May 05

British people are told that they do not complain enough, yet when we do or try, we are branded whingers.You just cannot win.

I personally always ask for discounts or possible freebies, and I find that it pays dividends in the end. I have a 10% off store card, that suppose to allow a discount on Wednesdays only. Whatever day that I am in the store, I ask the manager if he will allow me the discount, as I do not want to return on a Wednesday to purchase the item.As far as the manager is concerned,a sale is a sale, 10% discount given.

CurlyWhirly 18:48 29 May 05

I agree with your comments that we can't win!

Just like to close and say that it's NOT just AOL who behave like this as ALL companies seem to offer better deals to new customers as opposed to existing ones, so complaining is the ONLY way to get similar deals to new customers!

Snec 18:48 29 May 05

CW, I'm not going to rain on your parade but you will never guess what I'm getting Gold for, and I'm not telling.

Actually I don't think it is a good idea to adverise these things since obviously if too many people try it they may stop doing it.

CurlyWhirly 18:50 29 May 05

Actually I don't think it is a good idea to adverise these things since obviously if too many people try it they may stop doing it.

You are right, I never thought of that!
Will tick now. :0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…