Something in place of 'Office'

Ancient Learner 20:31 29 Mar 07

We are to be involved in buying two, yes two, PCs for 2 of our grandchildren as their present ones are now over 7 years old and causing problems.

Both are now at what I will call secondary school, and involved in Computers there. Along with their Mum and uncle who are both very computer literate, I am supposed to help when needed and the only thing that is bothering me is their proposed use of Office.

They will get the student edition at the appropriate cost, denied to me of course. I am well versed in the use Lotus 123 and lesser so of Word Pro, and I believe that I have read that 'Open Office' is a very similar and transferable file system with MS's Office, and is free. Is this so can anyone tell me please.
Also, could 'Open Office' be compatible with Lotus perhaps as well? I don't believe that 'Office' is!

If my understanding of all this is rubbish, please say.

isca2 20:51 29 Mar 07

You are able to buy the Home/Student edition of Office 2003 or 2007. Makes no difference as to what age or status you are !! Open Office is very good, free and fully compatible with Microsoft Office products. If you are familiar with Lotus 123 and Ami Pro for example, you should have no problems getting to grips with Microsft or Open Office. For Open Office ...click here

De Marcus™ 21:11 29 Mar 07

Supported major office file formats:

* OpenDocument (.odt, .ods, .odp, .odd),
* Microsoft Office and Works (.doc, .xls, .ppt),
* Corel WordPerfect Office (.wpd, .wb2),
* Sun StarOffice (.sdw, .sdc, .sdp, .sdd),
* Lotus 1-2-3 (.wk1, .wks, .123),
* Adobe PDF (.pdf)
* Macromedia Flash (.swf)
* and many more...

wee eddie 22:17 29 Mar 07

There must be some course that you can enrol in for free.

You are then a "bona fide" student and qualify for the reduced rate.

georgemac © 06:37 30 Mar 07

click here you do not have to be a student - the HOME and Student version can be purchased and used at home as long as it is for non commercial use - it does not however have outlook.

click here for Microsoft site and description of product

I think I also read that it can be installed on multiple PC's in the same household but now cannot find this anywhere - perhaps someone else will know this?

Ancient Learner 15:50 30 Mar 07

This is fantastic as usual. Thank you so much all of you.

It seems the best thing to do then is to get the Home and Student edition from Amazon, that way I won't have problems trying to understand what the children are saying - perhaps!

I am amazed that the cost is so much less than the full cost and hadn't realised that home users qualified in the same way as students.

georgemac © 17:21 30 Mar 07

it may be worth posting another thread asking if Home and Office 2007 can be installed on multiple PC's with one license - may save you a bob or 3 if that's the way you are going.

georgemac © 17:45 30 Mar 07

click here Home and Office 2007 can be installed on up to three PC's

Exact license condition would need to be found out from Microsoft

Phphred 19:37 01 Apr 07

click here

Let's see if this huge URL works

grumpygramp 12:41 02 Apr 07

I believe that the Star office suite is still only £46 odd .A month or so back I think it was on the Magazine Coverdisc for free .

Slithe 15:39 03 Apr 07

As your grandchildren are at secondary school, Office would be a better bet, particularly as ICT is now a compulsory subject.

You might want to check what will be involved in their computing lessons - my brother did GCSE ICT a couple of years ago and has just finished A Level ICT and in both cases he needed to use Microsoft Access, Frontpage and Publisher. Access was the main programme he used - and this is not included in the Home and Student package.

Office is a good bet as most schools use Microsoft Software - and for universities and colleges as well (MS has a monopoly in the education sector.) The Home and Student can be used on three machines, but it might be worth seeing if you can get an older copy of Access cheaply somewhere which can be installed on one PC and used when needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…