Some advice buying a laptop

tobeloy 21:29 18 Nov 10

I have been asked by my in-laws to find them a laptop their budget is £400, basically they will use it for email, writing letters and storing photos, mum plays scrabble now and then, nothing more strenuous than that, it needs to have a min 15.6" screen

I have looked at laptops with the new core i3 processors but am thinking the old dual core are just as good but I am not too techie so advice would be good.

I personally am going to buy a new system for me but there is so much choice and I am replacing a toshiba satellite which is 8 years old and was a powerful entertainment desktop replacement in its day but its dying.

I have a budget of £600, I possibly would like another desktop replacement system that technology wise will last about 4-5 years as I am spending a lot of cash. My laptop is used about 10hrs a day for work, I use it regularly for email, internet and catching up on tv, I would also like my new system to be able to play some of the latest games but I know I will have to compromise on detail level but I would like a dedicated graphics card, 17" screen would be nice too.

I was looking at toshiba or asus as they seem quite reliable but I don't mind what the brand is as long as I am getting value for cash, I will probably extend the warranty anyway.

Any help is appreciated, I have looked at so many I am confusing myself.

Forum Editor 22:56 18 Nov 10

Take a tip from me, and don't.

Extended warranties are a waste of good money in my opinion - you are adequately protected by current consumer legislation, and in any case modern laptops are incredibly reliable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple