SOLD FAULTY COMPUTER

I BOUGHT A COMPUTER IN DEC 2001. WHEN IT ARRIVED I HAD PROBLEMS WITH IT RIGHT FROM THE START. AFTER THREE MONTHS OF DIFFERENT PROBLEMS I WROTE TO TINY AND SAID I WAS NOT HAPPY WITH THE COMPUTER OR THE SERVICE THEY HAD GIVEN ME ,AND I WANTED A FULL REFUND.I PACKED MY COMPUTER AWAY AND IT IS STILL IN THE BOX THEY ARE NOW CHASING ME FOR PAYMENT WHICH I REFUSE TO PAY.CAN ANYONE ADVISE ME WHAT TO DO. THANKS

AMD 4 ever 10:27 15 Apr 03

Do you mean 2002? if 2001, Iam afraid 12months hav passed and it will be extremely hard to get any money...paying for it now seems inevitable!

bob1234 11:51 15 Apr 03

As you rejected the goods within a reasonable time of receiving these goods which were clearly not of merchentable quality, providing you still have the goods and a copy of the letter, invite them to sue you as no Court in the land will find against you. You have acted correctly.

hoverman 12:15 15 Apr 03

You have two threads on the same subject - suggest you tick one of these as resolved and let the other run.

AMD 4 ever 14:37 15 Apr 03

It is not wise to invite a supplier to SUE someone when we do not know the full story!!

Rod is not replying at the moment, so lets wait and see. It is this sort of 'SUE Anyone' attitude that really annoys me. Lets hear it first. And besides it is not good practise to give advise on something especially legal matters unless you are 100% in the know!!!!

Right, that said. Lets see if we can help him!
If it was not resolved withing 12months how can you expect a FULL refund?

vaughan007 16:00 15 Apr 03

Have a chat to your local trading standards concerning something called "fit for purpose".

Either that or quote this nice little law to your Tiny store manager.

This will work in your favour.

davidg_richmond 16:16 15 Apr 03

if i read this right, he bought his pc on finance like buy now pay later, had problems and boxed his pc up and wrote to them. now the (probably separate) finance company is going to want their money. tiny are bust. only thing that remains is the name and the factory which are both owned by Time/The Computer World. so who does he chase up? if Time are not now responsible he could be up the creek.

davidg_richmond 16:17 15 Apr 03

btw not paying the debt will probably affect your credit rating adversely.

I think you have this exactly right and it is the finance company that is now seeking payment.

ROD THE BOD - If you tale my advice, your best bet is to (unfortunately) pay up and write it off as a bad lot. My Reasons?

First, if the above is correct and you brought on HP or a Buy now / Pay Later scheme, then the equipment belongs to the Credit Company, even if this is "badged" as Tiny, there will be an underwriter somewhere who paid them when you brought the kit.

When the problems started, you (I expect) contacted Tiny and told THEM that you would not be paying. As the kit is owned by the finance company until paid for in full and Tiny were cash strapped, they thought "So what - Tuff" and ignored it.

You should have got in touch with the credit company and they would have sorted the matter out for you as, in effect, it is them who are selling the kit to you.

As you have not mentioned anything to them for the last two years (!!!) they remained ignorant to your problems and now (rightly) want their money.

If you do not pay, expect a CC Summons through the letter box in due course and as mentioned above, this will affect your credit rating in the future (at least three if not six years).

A Judge would be hard pressed to understand why you kept two rather large boxes of computer kit in your house for so long if you wanted it returned and also, what about a deposit? Did you have to put anything down on the kit in which case I would have thought he waould expect to want to know why you did not demand your money back sooner.

As Tiny are no more, you will get little or no joy out of this scenario and will either, I very much suspect, have to pay up or suffer a judgement and still remain liable to pay!!!

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:10 15 Apr 03

It may help if RTB clarified the faults on the computer first.

G

graham 20:49 15 Apr 03

If RTB does not come back, can we assume this is hoax?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…