Software too cheap to be true?

rolmes 16:56 07 Nov 05

I am trying to buy Dreamweaver and Photoshop software and found a company called appcds selling the most up-to-date versions for £25 each on the net. Does anybody know if this is a con? Or is it genuine? The site does say that the software is a 'back-up' copy and this could be why it is so cheap (although it goes on to say that it is perfectly legal!). I am especially keen to hear from anybody who has bought from this company in the past.

De Marcus™ 16:58 07 Nov 05

I doubt it very much, do you have a link?

rolmes 17:00 07 Nov 05

De Marcus™ 17:05 07 Nov 05

"Q. Is it on a hologram cd with certificate?
It is not the original hologram cd and does not come with a certificate, it is a backup copy of the original with serial number and instructions included. It is perfectly legal all you are doing is keeping a backup copy if something were to go wrong with the original disc. There are many other reasons why it is still legal such as use the copy as a trial version or not for commercial use e.g. personal use. The manufacture also benefits too amazingly if you cannot afford it you simply wouldn't buy it in the first place. Hence the manufacture would not get any spin off revenue, which they now currently enjoy from people getting familiar with their package and using it at work where the company or college picks up the tab."

What a lot of twoddle!!!!!!!!!

Or in other words, your buying counterfeit CD's. Steer clear.

rolmes 17:14 07 Nov 05

Would the software work, even if it is counterfeit?

De Marcus™ 17:21 07 Nov 05

You mean your still considering buying??????

rolmes 17:28 07 Nov 05

I just want to know if the software could work if it is a copy of the original

De Marcus™ 17:33 07 Nov 05

Yes, the software would probably work! But that defeats the point, it's illegal software, probably wouldn't update at all, have no support, and you'd be lining the pockets of criminals, why not try a free web design software, they are some very good packages about.

And anyway, it won't be long before that site is shut down, so placing an order won't gaurantee you a copied cd, working or not.

rolmes 17:35 07 Nov 05

Thanks for the advice!

De Marcus™ 17:39 07 Nov 05

Just so you know, I've made Microsoft and a few other companies aware of the site (probably already knew) so I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Why should anyone get software that I paid ten times over for..........

Arnie 17:44 07 Nov 05

Here is part of their terms and conditions.

7.3 Unless specified in separate terms and conditions related to a particular product or service, we make no warranty that the Website or products or services offered on the Website whether by us or on our behalf (including free software downloads) will meet your requirements or will be uninterrupted, timely, secure or error-free, that defects will be corrected, or that the Website or the server that makes it available or products or services offered on the Website whether by us or on our behalf (including free software downloads) are free of viruses or bugs or are fully functional, accurate, or reliable. We will not be responsible or liable to you for any loss of content or material as a result of uploading to or downloading from the Website.
7.4 Notwithstanding any other provision in the Conditions, nothing shall limit your rights as a consumer under United Kingdom law.
7.5 You acknowledge that we cannot guarantee and therefore shall not be in any way responsible for the security or privacy of the Website and any information provided to or taken from the Website by you.
7.6 We will not be liable in contract, tort or otherwise if you incur loss or damage connecting to the Website through a third party's hyper-text link.
7.7 We will not be liable, in contract, tort (including, without limitation, negligence), pre-contract or other representations (other than fraudulent misrepresentations) or otherwise out of or in connection with the Website or products or services offered on the Website whether by us or on our behalf (including free software downloads) for:
7.7.1 any economic losses (including without limitation loss of revenues, profits, contracts, business or anticipated savings); or
7.7.2 any loss of goodwill or reputation; or
7.7.3 any special or indirect or consequential losses; in any case whether or not such losses were within the contemplation of either of us at the date on which the event giving rise to the loss occurred.

The above say's it all.

Read the whole getout here.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…