Software taking over?

shaduf 21:09 05 May 04

When I bought my current computer, it came with XP and of course Windows Media Player.
This makes an excellent job of building a library of all my music and keeping track of it all.

Soon afterwards I bought an external Creative Sound Card as the computer was using on board sound. Nice piece of kit but that also makes a library listing of all my tunes and tries to take over Windows Media.

I then installed Easy CD & DVD Creator and that works well but makes its own library listing and tries to take over Media Player and Creative libraries.

Then I bought myself an MP3 player and guess what. It builds its own library etc etc.

All the above is repeated for digital photos. Every piece of software tries to do everything and cut all others out. No wonder we get conflicts.

I wish we could go back to the days when you bought a piece of software for a specific purpose and it did that and that alone.

Diodorus Siculus 16:30 06 May 04

It may be too late to tell you now, but most software has options in the install routine which will allow the user to choose what program is associated with what file type.

I agree that it would be better if this were made more clear at the outset, but that's the nature of computing these days: aim for the lowest common denominator and there will be fewer calls to the helpline.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…