Software ordered online

standby 16:01 24 May 06

Presently debating placing an order for Software from the United States using my Visa Card. Must I anticipate an increase in the price stated that will be charged above the normal exchange rate (?) either by the vendor or the card company.

Have not ordered abroad before...any advice would be appreciated.

Shortstop 16:03 24 May 06

what software/ what site?

Diemmess 16:15 24 May 06

Provided that during the checkout "Buy" form - you make sure you know the final figure before authorising the deduction from your credit card, you should be fine.

Whether you have to pay H M Customs some more will probably depend on the final sum you paid for the software. I would guess that < $100 would not bother anyone while > $300 almost certainly would.

spuds 17:00 24 May 06

Purchasing from abroad, I have purchased many items, can have hidden problems if they occur. Import duties with added administration charges, void warranties and no help from the seller. Plus certain 'IT' items cannot be exported from the USA, or maybe the seller will not except business transactions with the UK, to name but a few.

Having stated that, I have dealt with many companies located in Hong Kong, Singapore, USA, Germany etc, and all have been first rate transactions. My golden rule is to email the seller, ask various questions and see what their response is. This will usually give good guidance as to any 'hidden problems' that may occur.Regarding currency exchange rates, this would depend on the sellers methods and the credit card companies involvement. A typical case is someone like Amazon, who have a scheme via Amazon co.uk who quote a fixed UK currency price on certain purchases from the USA.Dealing direct with a USA seller, may have a currency exchange rate difference on a later credit card statement.

pj123 17:06 24 May 06

My bank Lloyds charged me an "Overseas Transaction Fee" of £1. for buying from the States.

Totally-braindead 17:55 24 May 06

I bought a digital camera a few years ago and by the time I had paid the customs on it it was virtually the same price as it was over here.

Forum Editor 18:53 24 May 06

or is it being posted to you?

If you're downloading it (and I strongly recommend that you take that course if it's available) then you have no worries - you can usually opt to see the payment details in your local currency, and there should be no hidden charges on your Visa statement - Visa handle millions of multi-currency transactions every day.

If the software is being posted to you then you may find that you have to pay customs duty on the consignment before you'll be allowed to take possession. A lot depends on individual circumstances, and the nature of the package itself. I receive many packages from America in the course of my business - some are delivered without a murmur, and some attract customs duty.

Any American company which sells to EU residents must charge VAT on the sale. EU regulations require that American companies selling to EU residents either:-

1. Apply individual VAT rates to each order, the rate being that applicable in the destination country.

OR

2. Establish a VAT-registered trading company in one of the EU countries, and account for the VAT on all orders to the authority in that country.

OR

3. Stay in America, and nominate a single EU country in which they wish to be accountable for VAT. All orders for delivery to EU destinations are then subject to the VAT rate applicable in the single nominated country.

Whatever the situation you'll almost certainly pay VAT, otherwise the price should be as stated on the company's website, plus any postage charges, or customs duty payable at this end.

standby 19:03 24 May 06

Many thanks for the information everyone...think that your advice Spud to deal through Amazon in the first instance if possible will be the best move for me.

Will decide further depending on that result, I do have the above info from everyone to go on.

Regards,

Standby

standby 19:04 24 May 06

Many thanks for the information everyone...think that your advice Spud to deal through Amazon in the first instance if possible will be the best move for me.

Will decide further depending on that result, I do have the above info from everyone to go on.

Regards,

Standby

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…