Software for manipulating digital photos

Ben Chuud 23:42 21 Jun 03

What's the best software for manipulating digital photos.. Camera came bundled with one, seems pretty basic and restricted...

Any freeware or paid ware that can improve and allow tinkering etc

jazzypop 00:03 22 Jun 03

How much do you want to spend, and how far do you want to manipulate?

Irfanview is cheap (free) and good. Paint Shop Pro is cheapish (about £60?) and very good. Many people swear by Adobe PhotoShop (£200+)

Google will find them all for you. There are also many trial / demo packages in the Downloads link at the top of this page.

Ben Chuud 04:49 22 Jun 03

Thanks, might try Pain Shop Pro

-pops- 09:09 22 Jun 03

You may find as you get more into this that one single program doesn't do all you want it to.

I'm a PaintShop Pro user but I also use Irfanview click here , Ofoto Now click here which is excellent for removing red eye and other things and some other programs. These should keep you going for a long time though.

Pay out for PSP and get Irfanview and Ofoto for free.

Brian

Bebee 09:21 22 Jun 03

There's no one answer to this - it depends on how you want to use them. It's worth trying the freebies to see if they meet your needs.

Paintshop Pro is popular for photographs, and alot of the digital photo sites give tutorials/articles on using it.

Photoshop is probably considered the top end program with professionals (and so it should be at around £400), but Photoshop Elements is the consumer version (£50 - £70). Again, plenty of turorials around on photo sites. You can download a 30 day trial of the full version of Photoshop Elements at the Adobe site. I'm down to 8 days and have decided to buy it - at around £52 from click here . (You can get a trial of the expensive version aswell.)

Stuartli 09:55 22 Jun 03

I have several of these programs - all are pretty much the same in the way in which they work.

However, as has been pointed out, Irfanview is as good and versatile as most; just make sure that you download all the codecs as well.

Some magazine cover disks have Irfanview available which saves downloading it although it is quite a small basic program.

Andybear 10:00 22 Jun 03

I use Paint Shop Pro and got Edition 7 (10th Anniversary Edition) on line from Game for £39.99 click here. It's cheaper than buying it in the Game store - yesterday I was in the London, Oxford Street Game store and they were selling it there for about £60.

slimpickins 10:25 22 Jun 03

I've been using it for five years and find it much easier and more intuitive than PSP which has a very steep learning curve. PSP has more pluggins etc but Ulead does most things just as well.

My mother who is keen photographer has just got her first computer at 73 and is getting on very well with Adobe Photo Elements, which is like a slightly cut down version of Ulead.

I would keep an eye on the magazine cover discs as all these, inc PSP, are featured regularly. Usually the last but one version as a free full program with an option to upgrade.

Kryten 11:57 22 Jun 03

Try here for free Serif software click here

Belatucadrus 12:20 22 Jun 03

Freebies, pretty good ones actually :-

Photoplus 5.5 click here

The Gimp click here

Pixia click here

Dogwaffle click here

ericmax 22:24 22 Jun 03

paint shop pro has just just been upgraded to version 8 so version 7 is going quite cheap at the moment it is well worth the money and seems to have
everything i need, it could be worth a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…