Socket 775 Sli Mobo Recomendations

RobCharles1981 19:37 12 Jan 09

Hi

I'm planning on upgrading from an AMD Dual Core to an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping! :-D

The Current I have now is

AMD 5600 Dual Core
Asus Crosshair AM2
Windows XP x64 Edition
6 Gig of Ram
BFG 8800gtx

I'm not that too keen on the Phenoms so Its a change to go over to Intel to get more performance in Games.

So basically I need a Socket 775 Sli Motherboard that overclocks well.

Thanks.

Rob

GaT7 16:28 13 Jan 09

You didn't state a budget, but here goes anyway. Have listed only Asus motherboards as they're amongst the best for overclocking. Also checkout similar boards (by chipset) made by Evga, Abit, Gigabyte & MSI.

Expensive:
Asus Striker Extreme click here (680i SLI chipset) | Reviews click here & click here

Midrange:
ASUS P5N-D click here (750i SLI chipset) | Reviews hclick here & click here

Budget:
Asus P5N-E SLI click here (650i SLI chipset) | Reviews click here & click here

If you don't require SLI, there are some very good OC'ing motherboards with Intel chipsets like the P35 & P45. G

Rigga 17:04 13 Jan 09

I run a Q6600 on an Abit IP35 Pro, overclocked to 3.3ghz. it's completely stable and hasn't missed a beat since it was turned on.

R.

RobCharles1981 22:30 13 Jan 09

Hi Crossbow7 thanks for coming back.

I don't know weather I'm coming or going here its crazy!!

With My Current Mobo the crosshair as I said it supports the Phenom providing I update the Bios although I can't quite make up my mind weather I want to go AMD Quad or bite the bullet and go Intel.

I was told Intel is the way to go, I'm not that fussed on the I7 tbqh.

With the P45 boards I can still use my GTX will I be able to add another or is that no possible?

From ebuyer this is what I'm thinking about now:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache (2x4MB (4MB per core pair) Retail Boxed Processor

And

Asus P5Q PRO P45 Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

GaT7 00:53 14 Jan 09

Yes, Intel CPUs, especially the C2Ds are better in gaming than most anything else.

For sheer speed in games it may be worth going for something like a C2D E8400 click here - they OC very well too giving an even greater boost. The Q6600 is no slouch either. Don't forget to get a good after-market cooler if oc'ing any of them.

No, you won't be able to add another 8800GTX if you go for a P45 motherboard. You're only option here is to go for a nVidia-based chipset click here motherboard as mnetioned in my 1st post.

I suppose you still can't go wrong with a Phenom click here - especially as you already have a SLI-enabled motherboard.

Where will you be getting the 2nd 8800GTX from
btw? These seem to have completely disappeared
off the shelves. G

RobCharles1981 12:58 14 Jan 09

Hi there :-)

I think I'm turning back to Nforce Sli, I don't particularly want to bother with a P45 motherboard as I want Sli

Looking at either these two:

click here

What sort of bench marks will I get with the
AMD Phenom X4 9950?

Don't think you can get the 8800gtx no more.

GaT7 17:53 14 Jan 09

AMD Phenom X4 9950 performance - I suggest you read some reviews that'll give you some idea: click here, click here, click here & click here.

I feel your current motherboard is good enough for now (specs if anyone wants to have look click here).

Those 780i SLI motherboards have 3-way SLI, & are very expensive. Do you really want to pay such a premium for something you may never use?

Going for a 'better' motherboard is likely to give only a very slight increase in performance with respect to gaming. Your first aim should be to get a better to much better graphics card, like a HD 4870 or a GTX260/280 & above (I've heard these really come into their own at higher resolutions). CPU could be next, motherboard not at all or last. G

RobCharles1981 20:01 14 Jan 09

Ok fair point there.

I've asked this question on other forums and they say I should go for a

click here

And The Q6660 Go Stepping and I could keep my GTX for a while longer because its still a kick ass card.

Would that be a good move???

GaT7 22:06 14 Jan 09

Yeah, I suppose either way is cool. As long as it meets your needs.

I feel getting a better graphics card may be more of a boost in games than the CPU+mobo upgrade.

All the best in whatever you decide to go for initially. G

RobCharles1981 23:38 14 Jan 09

So just to clarify

I get a P45 Board - Only One GTX or what ever if I want to upgrade then I would have to have a ATI card ??

RobCharles1981 12:18 16 Jan 09

I've decided on the

Hope I made the good choice!

Need a CPU Cooler now to overclock!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…