Socket 775 Sli Mobo Recomendations

RobCharles1981 19:37 12 Jan 09

Hi

I'm planning on upgrading from an AMD Dual Core to an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping! :-D

The Current I have now is

AMD 5600 Dual Core
Asus Crosshair AM2
Windows XP x64 Edition
6 Gig of Ram
BFG 8800gtx

I'm not that too keen on the Phenoms so Its a change to go over to Intel to get more performance in Games.

So basically I need a Socket 775 Sli Motherboard that overclocks well.

Thanks.

Rob

GaT7 16:28 13 Jan 09

You didn't state a budget, but here goes anyway. Have listed only Asus motherboards as they're amongst the best for overclocking. Also checkout similar boards (by chipset) made by Evga, Abit, Gigabyte & MSI.

Expensive:
Asus Striker Extreme click here (680i SLI chipset) | Reviews click here & click here

Midrange:
ASUS P5N-D click here (750i SLI chipset) | Reviews hclick here & click here

Budget:
Asus P5N-E SLI click here (650i SLI chipset) | Reviews click here & click here

If you don't require SLI, there are some very good OC'ing motherboards with Intel chipsets like the P35 & P45. G

Rigga 17:04 13 Jan 09

I run a Q6600 on an Abit IP35 Pro, overclocked to 3.3ghz. it's completely stable and hasn't missed a beat since it was turned on.

R.

RobCharles1981 22:30 13 Jan 09

Hi Crossbow7 thanks for coming back.

I don't know weather I'm coming or going here its crazy!!

With My Current Mobo the crosshair as I said it supports the Phenom providing I update the Bios although I can't quite make up my mind weather I want to go AMD Quad or bite the bullet and go Intel.

I was told Intel is the way to go, I'm not that fussed on the I7 tbqh.

With the P45 boards I can still use my GTX will I be able to add another or is that no possible?

From ebuyer this is what I'm thinking about now:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache (2x4MB (4MB per core pair) Retail Boxed Processor

And

Asus P5Q PRO P45 Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

GaT7 00:53 14 Jan 09

Yes, Intel CPUs, especially the C2Ds are better in gaming than most anything else.

For sheer speed in games it may be worth going for something like a C2D E8400 click here - they OC very well too giving an even greater boost. The Q6600 is no slouch either. Don't forget to get a good after-market cooler if oc'ing any of them.

No, you won't be able to add another 8800GTX if you go for a P45 motherboard. You're only option here is to go for a nVidia-based chipset click here motherboard as mnetioned in my 1st post.

I suppose you still can't go wrong with a Phenom click here - especially as you already have a SLI-enabled motherboard.

Where will you be getting the 2nd 8800GTX from
btw? These seem to have completely disappeared
off the shelves. G

RobCharles1981 12:58 14 Jan 09

Hi there :-)

I think I'm turning back to Nforce Sli, I don't particularly want to bother with a P45 motherboard as I want Sli

Looking at either these two:

click here

What sort of bench marks will I get with the
AMD Phenom X4 9950?

Don't think you can get the 8800gtx no more.

GaT7 17:53 14 Jan 09

AMD Phenom X4 9950 performance - I suggest you read some reviews that'll give you some idea: click here, click here, click here & click here.

I feel your current motherboard is good enough for now (specs if anyone wants to have look click here).

Those 780i SLI motherboards have 3-way SLI, & are very expensive. Do you really want to pay such a premium for something you may never use?

Going for a 'better' motherboard is likely to give only a very slight increase in performance with respect to gaming. Your first aim should be to get a better to much better graphics card, like a HD 4870 or a GTX260/280 & above (I've heard these really come into their own at higher resolutions). CPU could be next, motherboard not at all or last. G

RobCharles1981 20:01 14 Jan 09

Ok fair point there.

I've asked this question on other forums and they say I should go for a

click here

And The Q6660 Go Stepping and I could keep my GTX for a while longer because its still a kick ass card.

Would that be a good move???

GaT7 22:06 14 Jan 09

Yeah, I suppose either way is cool. As long as it meets your needs.

I feel getting a better graphics card may be more of a boost in games than the CPU+mobo upgrade.

All the best in whatever you decide to go for initially. G

RobCharles1981 23:38 14 Jan 09

So just to clarify

I get a P45 Board - Only One GTX or what ever if I want to upgrade then I would have to have a ATI card ??

RobCharles1981 12:18 16 Jan 09

I've decided on the

Hope I made the good choice!

Need a CPU Cooler now to overclock!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5