sms.ac - SMS over Internet

dms05 09:33 26 Apr 06

Beware of this SMS over Internet provider. They have started sending out mass emails to registered users where the recipient (ie me) has to pay 15p per message received. Yesterday I received 12 messages on my mobile. I have tried to deactivate my account on their website click here but that function has been disabled and I have now had to switch off my mobile phone. They are based in the USA and never answer emails. Avoid them. This is a rip off on a massive scale.

Stuartli 10:23 26 Apr 06

If you are a Tiscali subscriber it offers a free SMS service not only in the UK but also to other countries.

dms05 10:41 26 Apr 06

I've now had a response from sms.ac in the form of a general email sent to all users. sms.ac insist you only communicate with them in English but they send out their email communications in Spanish. Really helpful.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:13 26 Apr 06

click here have you tried sending 'stop' to the number in the above link?

G

dms05 11:25 26 Apr 06

The incoming SMS messages all have a stop messages feature (at a cost) but sending the correct message in each SMS, using the 'Reply' function has no effect.

The root cause seems to be sms.ac's unilateral decision to change user defaults from my settings of 'zero' for all communications from sms.ac to a large number for each individual catagory. I've now returned these settings to zero but would like to deactivate my account permanently - but this feature has been disabled by sms.ac. Luckily I'm close to a PC but if I'd been travelling for a couple of weeks I wouldn't have been able to do this easily - so I'd like to consign my sms.ac account to the waste bin but sma.ac won't allow me to do this.

I have never come across any e-commerce company who have acted so irresponsibly at my continuing expense.

Any ideas how I can stop this, short of changing my mobile number?

dms05 07:46 27 Apr 06

sms.ac eventually contacted me by email and claim to have cancelled my account. However they say that they have a 72 hour SMS queue for their SMS messages and I that can't be amended. So I should expect upto 25 more unwanted SMS messages costing me 15p each. That's about 40 in total at a cost of £6. They claim to have 50 million users. if they are doing this to even a 2% of their registered user base they are netting £6 million. Avoid sms.ac.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…