Small Laptop > Backpacking Friendly

El_Dangeroso 12:28 11 Aug 09

Hi All,

Please could you share your knowledge in regards to small laptops (screen size 10"-13").

I'm volunteering and traveling abroad over the next 12 months and would like to buy a small laptop to cover my web-browsing, Skype, word-processing, DVD watching and CD-writing needs. My budget is around £300.

Ideally the machine would have:
- 0-13" Screen
- DVD RW
- Built in webcam and microphone
- Decent battery life

I'm doing as much research as I can but I've found that the knowledge and kind advice on this forum cannot be surpassed. I'd be thankful for any suggestions

Kind regards

GaT7 02:23 12 Aug 09

Hi El_Dangeroso,

Unfortunately mini laptops for around the £300 mark just aren't available. Not new ones anyway.

You need to be looking closer to a budget of £450, e.g. an Acer Aspire 3410T click here.

More 13" ones click here, 12" click here & a 14" for under £275 click here. G

tullie 04:32 12 Aug 09

Im sure that i bought my Samsung netbook for about the price you are looking for,the battery life is very good at about 7 hours.

spuds 11:48 12 Aug 09

Whatever you decide to purchase, make sure that the item as an 'international' warranty and service back-up. No point in having a product that fails, and then find nobody is able to resolve the issue.

Perhaps an email to somewhere like a local newsroom or the Geographical Society may provide an answer as to what they would recommend for a 'rough use laptop' on a regular daily basis. Another point of consideration is the area of the globe you intend using the product, because this would also make a difference to selection!.

GaT7 12:53 12 Aug 09

tullie, there aren't any 'netbooks' available with an inbuilt optical drive.

One can use an external drive of course, but it defeats the purpose. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac