Slr and DSlr lenses

01chris 19:45 04 Dec 05

Can a standard SLR lense be used on a digital SLR camera?

Ikelos 19:48 04 Dec 05

yes they can. all mine work on the D100. From 24 up to 500..

ade.h 21:53 04 Dec 05

Just remember that unless you are lucky enough to have a full-frame CMOS sensor (EOS1 Ds Mark I and II, EOS20 D or Nikon D1) the focal length will effectively by multiplied by a factor of approximately 1.6.

Stuartli 21:54 04 Dec 05

You will have to have the correct lens mount for your camera i.e. a Nikon lens won't fit a Canon and also ensure that the particular digital camera will take other lenses.

In the majority of cases the focal length )or lengths if it's a zoom) will not match the 35mm equivalent - IIRC using a standard camera lens on a digital equivalent provides a slightly longer focal length. That might be a problem with wide angle requirements.

ade.h 21:54 04 Dec 05

Hence the seemingly very wide focal lengths that come with D-SLRs in the region of 18mm.

Stuartli 23:22 04 Dec 05

>>seemingly very wide focal lengths>>

That's quite correct. Also, the reason I mentioned to ensure that the digital camera will accept other lenses is that some models look very like an SLR but, in fact, have a fixed zoom lens.

01chris 16:26 05 Dec 05

My gran just bought a Nikon D50 and wants to know if she can use her standard Olympus telephoto and macro lenses on it.

ade.h 16:56 05 Dec 05

Not if they're not Nikon F-series fitting. I assume that by Olympus, you are referring to a manual-focus lens for one of Olympus's old manual SLRs.

Stuartli 18:21 05 Dec 05

You just might find that a company such as:

click here

can supply a suitable lens mount converter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now