Slow AOL

realist 19:24 02 Dec 09

My AOL download speeds have just recently dropped from around 4-500KB/s to maximum of 190KB/s.

The Irish helpline suggested it was "down to the flooding", though I am not in a flood hit area.

Any other AOL'ers experiencing this?

curofone 21:03 03 Dec 09

there are still people in the world with AOL?

has your connection at this new lower speed all date or at certain times?

if the problem was down to the flooding then surely everyone else that is connected to the exchange you are on would also suffer these speed drops no matter what their ISP was (some please correct me if i am wrong on theat one) but i would check with neighbours to see if their connections have slowed assuming they are on ADSL

Marko797 11:56 05 Dec 09

I'm on AOL BB and have been for years. Agree the speeds have been less than ideal recently, but strangely over the past week I've noticed a marked improvement..well, back to what it was really before the slow down.

folsom 12:33 05 Dec 09

I am also with AOL BB, my speeds were abysmal up until three weeks ago, and then they suddenly improved to .720kbps yes you read that right .720kbps which for me is adequate, however, since yesterday they have dropped to .429kbps.

Having run a BT test, I am now seeing the following:

D/L speed 429 was 720
Acceptable range 50-500 was 200-1000
DSL connection rate down 832 was 992 up same 448
IP profile for line 500 was 750.

So it would appear that either AOL or BT have changed something at the exchange, certainly nothing to do with flooding.

rdave13 18:28 05 Dec 09

Had been with AOL for many years and had a stable connection of between 1.9 and 2 meg download speed. Changed ISP lately and now have a steady 3.2 meg download speed. Can only think it's to do with Point to Point Protocol. My new ISP uses PPPoA.

SB23 20:59 05 Dec 09

Yes.

I've just moved about 14 miles from where I used to live, and although the change of details, and reconnection went ok at my new address, my speed has dropped.
The funny thing is, although its still classed as BB, and is ok, Aol blamed the BT line, lol!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…