slide and neg scanner

heepster 22:16 19 Sep 05

Amyone recommend a decent scanner for slides and negs flatbed. Been looking at epson 2480 and Hp Scanjet 4890.

Danoh 23:11 19 Sep 05

Has the Digital ICE technology as part of the scanner's hardware; only automated way to spot scratches consistently. Works by separate infra-red scan. Also caters for dust, etc. Also does medium format slides. £176 including p&p from Savastore.com (Watford Electronics), 1st Sept.

I was looking to get the 2580 with the same resolution (2400x4800) as a friends older Epson scanner scanned 35mm slides and negatives very well, although dust and spot removal could be a real pain in use.

As the Epson site does not show a 2580/2480 any more, the thought of buying an obsolete product distracted me onto the Digital ICE technology. As I want to do slides and negs, I might as well go for it. Being able to scan as many negs/slides in one go was also important, and the auto-separation into separate pics a great time saver.

I had intended to get a replacement scanner 2+ yrs ago but things have progressed so fast that I was well under my original budget and have double the resolution plus top-model features.

pj123 14:47 20 Sep 05

I have the Epson Perfection 3170 scanner which is a normal flatbed scanner with facility for scanning negs and slides. I also have a dedicated film scanner from Jessops the 1800U Primefilm Film Scanner. JESFS3600U at £99.99 but it only takes 35mm size.

Jessops film scanner from click here

Epson flatbed scanner from

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos