Sky Broadband

dms05 11:10 19 Jul 06

I was comparing the cost of the new Sky Broadband + Calls + Line Rental of £14/month (assuming you are a current Sky customer) with my existing deal with BT at £42 - for an inferior service (BB same but calls only after 6pm).

The £28 I save each month goes a long way towards paying for my Sky 'content' package. The question I ask of BT is 'how can you justify your pricing'?

Murielson 1 11:16 19 Jul 06

Does this mean that you no longer have a BT line and hence no BT line rental charge?

dms05 11:21 19 Jul 06

My understanding is just that - Sky become your total supplier and you no longer deal with BT. However I would appreciate others confirming this is the case.

Pamy 11:25 19 Jul 06

not according to what I have read, you still have to have Bt line rental

dms05 11:32 19 Jul 06

Quoting from 'The Register':

The base service is free except for a £40 connection fee and a £50 installation fee. The max package costs £14 a month including phone line rental.

anchor 11:41 19 Jul 06

Details of the Sky offer here:

click here

You have to be a Sky subscriber to have it.

The free UK phone call package is an option at £5/month. BT line rental is additional. It will probably, like other similar offers, exclude calls to 0870 and 0845 numbers.

dms05 12:10 19 Jul 06

anchor - excellent link. Full details!

So you do need BT (and their Line Rental Tax) but the Sky call package is only £5/month.

Also reports suggest the role out over the UK will take time and not everyone will be able to join immediately - it all depends upon your location. However you can register now no matter where you are.

dms05 12:11 19 Jul 06

Finally........you can install yourself or pay the £50 fee for a professional installation - your choice.

DrHoliday 12:48 19 Jul 06

Most ISP's ask you to have a BT line.
No BT line means your stucjk with Sky, as Virgin & Wandoo and others require this.

Naeris 14:20 19 Jul 06

I've just requested this myself but only the base broadband package, free broadband and free wireless router for just £40 connection (although I think it's unfair to charge this as my bt line is already enabled so will beg this for free also when they call me!).

I think it looks good thus far........

Jimmy14 18:38 19 Jul 06

not available in my area for activation but they are working on it.

James

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009