This site's product reviews

Spark6 16:12 25 Oct 03

Is there some cunning reason why this site's review of digital cameras is different from the November and December issues of the magazine?

The Olympus MJU 300 has topped the site's 'beginner's digicam' reviews for a number of months while the Kodak Easyshare DX 6440 is top of the November and December issues of the magazine.

Or is someone sleeping on the job?

I'm interested in purchasing a camera in the price range of these two.

Spark6 22:46 04 Nov 03

Obviously no reason and no interest either!

Close now.

Stuartli 09:24 05 Nov 03

No one is sleeping on the job - as new products arrive the older ones get pushed further down the list as the latest models prove superior.

It's what's known as progress.

PC Advisor. 09:50 05 Nov 03

Stuartli,

Got it in one.

Guy (Online Ed)

Spark6 21:06 05 Nov 03

Stuartli and Guy

I do believe that both of you are missing the point. Most of us support progress but neither of you have explained why this site's camera review was at least two month's behind the monthly magazines.

And I thought I had closed this thread. Ah well.

Spencus 21:44 05 Nov 03

You have to tick the resolved box to close this thread

Wilham 22:39 05 Nov 03

I give credit that PCA mag and this site both list items in order of merit, which is something. But I criticise that reviewers of equipment accept without question all manufacturers' claims/specs; also that digital cameras are given undue emphasis on pixel count against their quality of optics, especially
at full zoom.
I know it must be an effort for reviewers to keep up-to-date, but for example the Visioneer 9020 scanner, currently no.2, has been replaced by model 9320, available in USA August (150 dollars+ tax)and now in Germany. It has a much higher spec than the 9020, and this site's present review should at least give warning of the successor.
My main grumble about reviews generally is the unquestioned acceptance of advertisers' spin.

stvmor 01:51 06 Nov 03

BU IT WITH 128M CARD, YOU WON'T BE SORRY! I'VE SEEN THE RESULTS.

Stuartli 08:45 06 Nov 03

Your criticism of reviewers in claiming that they "accept without question all manufacturers' claims/specs" is completely without foundation and could be considered a case of libel.

As for quality of optics etc, no two lenses are exactly the same, nor ever could be, in their quality, no matter what the focal length or zoom setting.

As for pixel count and optics quality, the two go together - a 3MP camera should produce more detailed resolution than a 2MP verison, even using the same lens design.

A further point is that PCA rates only the products it tests in merit order - there are many other models that are never mentioned, no doubt due to the sheer range available and regular introduction of new ranges.

So it is merely a short term guide and there may well be superior models on the market. That's why you have to check all avenues before making a decision on a purchase.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…