Sink waste disposal unit

Graham. 17:35 12 Feb 09

My neighbour is having a new kitchen fitted. I recommended her to take the opportunity to have a waste disposal fitted, but she couldn't see the point.

I have had one for years, and wouldn't be without it. Plates and dishes scraped straight into the sink instead of waste bin.

I understand 99% of American homes have one.

Your thoughts, please?

tullie 17:48 12 Feb 09

Personely,i cant see the point either,other opinions may differ.

oresome 17:51 12 Feb 09

"I understand 99% of American homes have one."

That in itself would dissuade me.

Graham. 17:56 12 Feb 09

Not even an extended flange? click here

Picklefactory 18:13 12 Feb 09

I have one I never use, extremely noisy and smells.
Regret putting it in in the first place, but it was my idea.

bobbybowls 18:46 12 Feb 09

we have had one for ages, they do not smell if you run enough water through to flush out the trap. as for the noise it is only for 10 seconds or so and is not that loud.

Newuser38 19:11 12 Feb 09

We did away with ours recently when we replaced the sink. We found we had problems with blockages etc over the years and in addition I had a wormery given for a birthday so the wormery and compost get rid of veg peelings etc and we always hve clean plates with no scraping in any case.

€dstowe 22:02 12 Feb 09

My plates and dishes are scraped into the dog's bowl. No waste here and there's very little the dog won't eat.

Forum Editor 23:12 12 Feb 09

a few years ago, but very few new kitchens have them fitted now. They are the cause of lots of blocked drain gullies, and the noise they make is horrendous - I wouldn't have one if you paid me.

Graham. 23:15 12 Feb 09

Next you'll tell us you don't have a dishwasher.

Stuartli 00:19 13 Feb 09

I'll be extremely surprised if that is the case.

Graham.

We can beat the FE (if he by any chance doesn't have one) in that we have the enviable position of having two dishwashers.

But normally I leave it to the other half.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…