simple mobile phone

tonyq 09:52 29 Nov 06

please can anyone suggest a basic,simple to use, mobile phone and the best tariff to use e.g orange/virgin ect,will only be used in emergences,it will be used by a couple who are in there 80's.
P.S hope I have posted this in the right forum.

Shortstop 10:17 29 Nov 06

i use a nokia 1600 click here No camera, no gimmicks, good reception and simple to use as well as a cheap phone that doesn't cut corners on quality. Can't help with the tariff as i am on a contract - but I know from my son that some of the phone companies make their vouchers time limited [i.e. will expire 30 days after activated - even if not used] so I would be careful with this.

HTH

Paul

spuds 10:21 29 Nov 06

I generally find the best tariff is PAYG for emergency use only. Regarding the mobile, a cheapo special offer (about £25/£30) from Tesco's or The Link usually doe's the job.Do not get involved with any contracts. At present, I use 02 and Vodafone, not much difference between the two. Mobiles I use Motorola, Sagen, Sendo, all with simple and easy to purchase earpieces. Old age and deafness make a good combination!.

wjrt 10:40 29 Nov 06
  Kate B 10:58 29 Nov 06

3 has some excellent pay-monthly tariffs all the time - have a look here click here. I pay a tenner a month for my plan, which isn't available any more, but there are plenty of similarly cheap ones if you're up for a contract.

Vangeliska 11:07 29 Nov 06

A lot of PAYG operators will allow you to carry over unused credit so long as you remember to make a chargeable call every 60 days or so (check with the Service Provider for up to date info).

spuds 11:41 29 Nov 06

Vangeliska

Fully support the 'stay connected' reminder. 02 can disconnect without warning, and refuse to allow a refund on unspent time, if you miss the 'cut off' time. A 10/15 second connect to servises ring is all that's needed.

tonyq 12:37 29 Nov 06

sorry, forgot to say,want to use "Pay as You Go",with no time limit.

spuds 12:54 29 Nov 06

tonyq

I think that you will find, there are time limits on all services provided. But as suggested, a once a month 10/15 second connection costing about 5p, keeps things shipshape and without further bother. I find Vodafone the better for this, possibly due to the fact that 02 owe me over £13.00 in lost funds, due to my oversight, and their terms and conditions. No chance of getting a refund, once bitten twice shy, so they say!.

Diodorus Siculus 14:06 29 Nov 06

click here You will not get better than this I think. Nokia 1110 for £20 including £10 credit. Needs to be used once every 120 days I believe to keep credit alive. Basic phone but fine for emergency use.

amonra 14:41 29 Nov 06

One important thing to look for is LARGE buttons and clear lettering thereon. As you get older your eyesight doesn't improve, and trying to see where the "E" is on the keypad in poor light can be a bit offputting. I have two old "bricks" which are great, because of the clear lettering on the keypads, but unfortunately the batteries are kaput and it doesn't warrant replacing them.
Make sure the old folk can try them out before buying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced