Should i move from NTL 1meg to AOL BB?

dazgwinn 19:05 01 Oct 03

Is the AOL service worth swopping with NTL. I currently pay 35 quid a month to ntl while aol is 27.99,its slower at 680 but free helpline.Please help?Cheers Dazgwinn.

Mike574 10:49 02 Oct 03

Personally I wouldn't move to AOL if they paid me. I had AOL dial up when I first got my computer and I had nothing but problems with the software causing my pc to become unstable and crash. Why not check out Pipex as they are doing 512k BB for about £24 a month and, if they haven't started already, they'll be soon offering a 1 Meg BB servive for about the £35 mark. Either way there are loads of ISP's out there offering better deals than AOL. The only difference with most of them is you might have to pay for the helpline, but it depends on how often you are planning on calling them. Good luck with you ISP hunting.

Sir Radfordin 11:03 02 Oct 03

How often do you use the Helpline?? I've only used the helpline for one problem in the 18 months I've been with Telewest. AOL just offer an extra portal that you may or may not find useful. Personally I wouldn't want to pay extra for it. ZEN seem to be a good company if you do want to change.

MikeOT 11:47 02 Oct 03

No way. I know a number of people who use AOL and have numerous problems, the root of which seems to be that AOL don't seem to focus on offeering the service you pay for, but on directing youtowards others services they want you to pay for, and limiting your ability to stray from the "AOL fold". Also, I believe people can have trouble sending to AOL email addresses.

With cable, you get what you want. Fast, built for purpose, simple internet connectivity.

Djohn 12:09 02 Oct 03

I'm with AOL Broadband and before that 56k dial-up. Almost three years in total, I do some beta testing for them and at times can have anything from three to six versions of their software running on my PC. None of this has ever caused a problem, my system is stable and rock solid.

Obviously, at times I have a problem with some of the new software, but then I expect too, I'm testing it! But it's never anything that a quick re-boot or re-install [5 Min's.] of that particular version will not fix. My main connection, Version 8 never gives me any trouble at all.

As you can see, I'm quite happy with the software and also the ISP itself. Would I recommend you to change to them? "No". It's a completely different type of ISP than others, and the change will be similar to changing your O/S and will need some careful thinking before going through with the change.

From your question you appear to be looking for an ISP with a free helpline, this implies you are having problems that require many calls to them for technical help. Any ISP that is set up correct and running on a stable system should not require this, and normally after the first couple of days of trial and error in setting up your connection I can't see the need to call them at all. Customer services for information, yes, but not the help line.

If you are having problems, then maybe a post in the help-room will be a good idea, there are many people that will offer help and advice with any problems you have regarding your present set-up.

Good luck with your choice if you do change ISP's, but I'm not sure this will solve your problem. Remember, if you need a free helpline, then something is wrong with the software/hardware, and most likely not the ISP. Regards. j.

johnbhoy 12:12 02 Oct 03

Dazgwinn - I have been with AOL for nearly 4 years, first on dial up and now with their BB service. I only use AOL on connect me to the Internet then minimise it, I don't use the inbuilt browser or such like. The Email program is okay and I can honestly say I have never had any problems receiving email sent to me. If I was currently with NTL broadband, or any other ISP for that matter I would not switch to AOL, as the software supplied tends to be very difficult to remove, their email is prone to large amounts of spam, and the broadband modem they supply can have problems with VIA chipset motherboards. I have never used their telephone help service so could not comment on that.

I decided to stay with AOL when I went to BB because they offered me a good deal and it saved me from having to change my email address, with is for both business and personnel use.

JohnBhoy

dazgwinn 18:28 02 Oct 03

Cheers guy's thank you all very much for your advice, look's like i.m going to look somewhere else!

byfordr 18:41 02 Oct 03

Wouldn't touch AOL with yours...try pipex, bulldog
click here, fast24 click here
I am paying £37.50 with fast24 for a 2mb connection, support is at 50p a minute

canard 19:36 02 Oct 03

NTL have a free phone number if you have an NTL phoneline. The wait can be annoying but at least your cash isn't haemorhaging.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…