Should I ditch Norton?

Mike_R 17:15 09 Feb 07

I've been paying for Norton 2006 through Tiscali and now realise that I will need another copy for the grandchildren's laptop. Would I not be better to ditch Norton and download a free version of AVG? Is there anything that I would want that Norton provides and AVG doen't?

rodriguez 17:26 09 Feb 07

Norton is a bit of a tricky one as some PCs get on with it and others just don't. You'll find a lot of people saying "don't use Norton it's slow and terrible" etc. and a lot of others say it's fine. This is because of the different combinations of hardware and software that Norton has to run with. If you've run it on your PC and it's fine, it's best to try a trial version on the laptop to see if it runs ok. AVG is a free program so doesn't have all the bells and whistles that Norton does, but it's fairly light and won't slow down the computer too much. I use it and it seems to do the job just fine.

Mike_R 17:38 09 Feb 07

Thanks. I don't use or even understand all Norton's bells and whistles. All I want is something that will protect the PC against all the latest threats against it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:39 09 Feb 07

Yes, download AVG free, save to desktop, disconnect from net, delete Norton, use Ccleaner click here, reboot, run AVG file and you will not regret it.

G

Mike_R 17:52 09 Feb 07

Thanks again. With my own PC and a PC and laptop for the grandchildren, it will save me a mint of money.

Jimmy14 18:33 09 Feb 07

Do you realize that you can install your copy of Norton 2006 on 3 different computers with the same product key for the years subscription?

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:48 09 Feb 07

Do you realize that you can install AVG free on 3 different computers without a product key for nothing?...There is no need at all for a home user to pay for security.

G

Jimmy14 20:34 09 Feb 07

Keep AVG and be happy with it but remind yourself of your own integrity by reading the first post on this thread and you will notice it is a querie of Norton. Then again, there are the odd few in society.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:43 09 Feb 07

'Thanks. I don't use or even understand all Norton's bells and whistles. All I want is something that will protect the PC against all the latest threats against it.'...I read the second post. It is the bit about saving money that caught my attention. It must be very odd to save money.

G

Jimmy14 20:55 09 Feb 07

It is very odd to suggest to someone to ditch Norton and use AVG when they can already use the product they payed for on another 2 computers. Why don't you back off and intervene with your suggestions when they are actually appropriate e.g someone asking what anti-virus program to use.

Kate B 21:26 09 Feb 07

The question was "Should I ditch Norton?" to which the answer is always a resounding "yes".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant