Should I change to Broadband?

Pappyon 17:55 17 Feb 03

I don't download any music. I don't play online games. I only download updates to programs I have installed, and look at sites like this one, and access my online bank account, and the number of emails I get (apart from spam) don't take a long time to download.
What I would like to know is, if I change will I still have the frustration of web pages loading very slowly or not at all.
The Dial-up ISP I am with, glowtelecom is getting worse by the day, but has the consolation of being dirt cheap.
I am thinking of signing up for the Pipex special offer, and would like advice, not about Pipex itself, but general advice. In short who is broadband really for? What type of user gets the best value for his/her money.

Thanks for any advice received.

Sir Radfordin™ 18:15 17 Feb 03

Having broadband changes the way you use the internet. From downloading anything to uploading files, checking emails, to online banking. The fact that its always there makes it much more of a useable resource. It can integrate much more into your normal life.

The saving is if you are on a 2nd phone line already - broadband gives you your phone line back for phone calls.

You don't have to waste time connecting (lots of times a day soon mounts up!) or worry about leaving it on for long periods. If you can afford it go for it, but accept its a luxury more than something you can't live without.

Wes Tam ;-) 18:18 17 Feb 03

I joined the NTL 128 BB because I'm your type of user. It costs me £14.99 per month which is £1 cheaper than AOL my previous dial-up provider, and is at least twice as fast.

My son-in-law, a gamer, joined the NTL 600 at (I think) £25 per month.

It's horses for courses, but I'd recommend changing to BB.

Although not a heavy user, i took advantage of the pipex offer and wish i'd upgraded sooner.

mcullum_DX4Life 19:16 17 Feb 03

you will find the net much much easier and more comfortable to use if you get bb. I promise you, you will never ever want to go back to 56k no matter if all you do is web browsing ;)

Pappyon 19:33 17 Feb 03

Wes Tam ;-) Do you have top be a NTL cable TV subscriber to get what you have?
I had a look at the site, but it isn't very clear about that, or am mixed up?

mcullum_DX4Life 19:48 17 Feb 03

nope you do not, but you DO have to live in an ntl cabled area.

Wes Tam ;-) 19:59 17 Feb 03

Pappyon,mcullum_DX4Life is right.

The difference will be that if you have TV you use the same box for BB, but if not NTL will have to supply a modem (I don't know what the charge is for the modem, but with NTL I find that you can haggle for a price).

lester1 00:16 18 Feb 03

Pappyon
I changed to BB 4 months ago the difference is amazing. Like you I only used to download up-dates etc keeping my surfing to a minimum and was always clock watching. Now I'm on line for hours, my connection speeds are 288kps up stream and 576kps downstream.As Sir Radfordin™ say's if you can afford it go for it but don't forget the firewall.

March Hare 00:27 18 Feb 03

I'm on NTL 128k, and echo all the above. There's no charge for the cable modem, but it remains NTL property. Installation charge was £25 (one-off), and I think it still is.

I too was on Glo/Evesham before I switched. Their moving of the goalposts regarding permitted online usage time, and the difficulty getting a connection during peak times was the final straw which made me go for BB. No regrets.

NTL tech helpline is local rate, not premium - but be prepared to listen to muzak for a while if you need help! The helpline people are well worth waiting for, though, they really know their stuff and help you step-by-step through any problems.

« Ravin » 04:30 18 Feb 03

[Quote]Having broadband changes the way you use the internet. From downloading anything to uploading files, checking emails, to online banking. The fact that its always there makes it much more of a useable resource. It can integrate much more into your normal life. [/Quote]

if i ever decide to set up a company now i know where to look for a pr manager! you know i'm jus kidding right? ;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…