Short lifespan of Plasma screens?

Danoh 10:50 10 Jun 03

I'd read that Plasma screens have a limited lifespan of around 3 years of moderate to heavy use. Although this may vary between manufacturers and normal domestic use, at most this will be 6 years?

This would have a consideration influence on deciding whether to go for plasma or a large widescreen CRT TV, especially given the price differential.

Can anyone confirm or add more info on this relatively short lifespan of plasmas? (My current CRT TV is still working fine after >16 years!!)

carver 21:19 10 Jun 03

You are correct about the life span of plasma screens, after about 4 years they will start to degrade and a short time after that they die, it's called 'how to make a lot of money out of people who have too much money'

Danoh 21:34 10 Jun 03

I knew that TFT crystals have a short lifespan but was not aware that plasmas also suffered as well. Is the degradation so rapid? Can anyone else confirm?

davidg_richmond 00:45 11 Jun 03

Screens can last anywhere between 5-8 years on moderate use according to my own information. The plasma gas is limited and the screen quality will begin to degrade towards the end of this life span. Most people replace TVs after 8-10 years so it seems manufacturers are trying to fit in with this. The screen will not be completely dead after this time, just degrade until they are too dark.

Danoh 07:41 11 Jun 03

Brand new plasmas struggle to compete with CRT's for brightness and contrast anyway. If they degrade and fade then they will only be fit for a dark room rather than a normal living room surely?

I would understand that if purchased for a business they are written off (depreciated) in the books after 3 years so not many would be too worried if they are binned.

On pure quality of image, they lose out. On moral reckoning, they are no where in sight. I’m certainly not a supporter nor aspire to the Posh’n’Becks lifestyle.

With the diminishing number of landfill sites and gross disparity between the highest consumer societies and those struggling to keep their own kids alive, I for one am not ready to subscribe to this 8-year-cycling design philosophy.

davidg_richmond 11:00 11 Jun 03

If you want a thinner large screen television, I suggest having a look at the DLP 'Digital Light Processor' rear projection screens now available. There's one at the Dixons branch I work at. They are so much better than plasmas - brighter, sharper, and without the time/usage limit on quality. They will not hang on a wall but are thin enough not to be too room-hogging. As with any projector television though, if the bulb needs replacing it can be costly (a couple of hundred pounds).

They are cheaper than plasmas and better quality.

Danoh 11:44 11 Jun 03

I got a contra-view;

"Typical lifespan of a plasma display is around 30,000 hours. The screen will not stop working after this period but will only be about half as bright. This means that a display used for 5 hours a day, 7 days a week will last about 16.5 years which is actually longer than most CRT displays currently produced and significantly better than LCD projectors which have a bulb life of around 2,000 hours.

Plasma displays work in much the same way as fluorescent and neon lights - that is, they use electricity to illuminate a gas. In the case of a plasma display, the gas is sandwiched between two glass plates with transparent electrodes. When voltage is applied to one of the electrodes, a surface electrical discharge produces ultraviolet rays that excite the coloured phosphors painted inside the opposite plate of glass, emitting light through the glass plate to create an image. Because the phosphors are painted in red, green and blue, the image produced is in colour."

Half as bright ~ subjectively that would be rather drastic and could probably be deemed unusable except in darkened rooms?

Does the DLP projection use LCD to render the image for projection? Time for a visit!

davidg_richmond 12:33 11 Jun 03

Yes, DLP is an LCD projector.

Danoh 12:46 11 Jun 03

Thanks!

Danoh 15:26 14 Jun 03

Store was too busy and did not get a satisfactory answer as to how DLP (Digital Light Processor) was any different to other back projection TV technology. Might have to search online instead!

Tankus 22:40 14 Jun 03

They vent gas ,for heavy use expect a lifespan of around 3 years or so..........

Want a laugh....try and buy a 5 year extended warranty for one of these , see how far you get...!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…