SFF Chassis - Socket A

NinkyRudes 16:18 03 Jan 08

I hope someone out there can help.

I have a small handful of PCs at home, from an Athlon XP2400 through to a Core 2 8800GTX gaming rig. I also have varous piles of components such as processors and hard drives through to fans and cables.

What I would like to do is to turn an old Socket A Sempron processor, some old sticks of DDR-333, an 80Gb HDD and a DVD burner into a small, low powered living room PC. It doesn't need to be able to run Media Centre or HD video or much, but I have a handful of old graphics boards (PCI, AGP & PCI-e) that all output to S-Video or basic component video.

The main use of the pc will be to watch avi files on an old 36 inch panasonic CRT telly. Possible a bit of internet but not necessarily.

Does anyone know of a retailer that would be able to sell me a slice of history in the form of an old barebones SFF chassis, remembering it needs to run a Sempron (or Celeron or P4 or Althon XP)? My budget is £100ish, and looks are largely unimportant.

Is eBay my only choice, or is there some terrific retro-retailer out there keeping a low profile on Google?

Stuartli 16:27 03 Jan 08

My Socket A motherboard (an MSI KT6V) is used with the last of the XP Athlons (3200+) and DDR400 memory.

All were new in 2004, so you should be able to find a suitable case and mobo without much difficulty at quite low cost.

Try Gary Lindop, the owner of:

click here

who has been a handy contact in recent years for such items.

I originally found his outlet on e-Bay.

Stuartli 16:30 03 Jan 08

Here's his current Socket A (462) mobos; could well have others available:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009