Severn Trent Broadband

Dragon Heart 02:30 28 Jan 06

I have used Severn Trent Water's Surf On Water . Com for my dial up connection for several years without too many problems ......... but it is still only dial up speeds.

They now have announced, at long last, a ST Broadband 500 click here , great I thought a cheap, reliable service OK it's only 10x my current speed but that's fine for me.

It a router based service but :-

£26.99 per month, including vat

A one-off connection fee of £58.75

The Severn Trent Broadband router - £69.99

Severn Trent use click here

If you go to their site they offer ADSL

ADSL Features
1 Fixed IP (Home User)
No usage Limitations
Free Domain Name
Anti-Virus
Anti-Spam
256K Upstream
Up to 2MB Downstream (Home 1000: £19 + VAT or Home 2000: £29 + VAT)
FREE Install
Dial Up Backup
POP3 & SMTP Mail
Access to News Groups.

What are STW playing at ?

Tesco Broadband here I come !

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:41 28 Jan 06

I am heartened to see that STW are continuing their unique brand of chronic mis-management and startling myopia. Nothing like consistency is there.

G

spuds 12:08 28 Jan 06

Pity Severn Trent don't stick to water supply and recycling, and improve on that before going into other fields of commerce.

g0nvs 10:59 29 Jan 06

Having the misfortune to be a Severn Trent water customer I would hate to also be a broadband customer.

rmcqua 10:15 30 Jan 06

Horribly expensive !

Dragon Heart 23:01 01 Feb 06

I have just been informed officially today that Severn Trent Telecoms has been sold The new owners TELEQUIP (they also own The Carphone Warehouse) have taken over the business customers of Severn Trent Telecoms only.

The telecoms operating company behind the Severn Trent Telecoms service was HOUXOU who are offering a Broadband service @ £13.99 + VAT but no details yet as to the level of service to be provided ? That information is available from the 3rd February but the Surf On Water service ends on the 28th so not a great deal of time to decide and then get set up & running.

I am afraid GANDALF <|:-)> STW are by no means unique in their brand of chronic mismanagement and startling myopia, I should know as I used to work for them !

Thanks for your comments folks :-)

MIKE 18:59 04 Feb 06

I'm thinking of using a web cam to use contacing relatives in America. Can anyone tell me what I'll need regarding software etc.
Any help will begratefully received.

suburban train 19:53 04 Feb 06

How about tiscali broadband?

I use them and had no problems.

Jackcoms 21:27 04 Feb 06

It would be wise to start a new thread on your issue, rather than inserting your completely unrelated topic in someone else's thread.

Dragon Heart 23:56 05 Feb 06

Thanks for the suggestion 'knowledge boy' but I understand once you join Tiscali broadband you can find it hard to break free. Something to do with the agreement they have with BT !

An old work friend has used Tiscali dial up for some time and has just moved over to their broadband service and is very happy with them ......

I am willing to try anyone apart from NTL but I understand Virgin's ISP is now NTL and Tesco Broadband also use them for their service. At least with Tesco I can complain direct to Tesco and the wife will get Tesco card points :-)

You would think that with the race to get the highest connection speed the lower (512k, 1 Mb & 2 Mb) deals would be a great deal cheaper ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…