Service Pack 2

amyjen7 15:05 06 Mar 05

I have been stalling loading Service Pack 2 because of the stories I keep hearing with regards compatability. I have WindowsXP Home Edition and my securty is very well handled by Norton SystemsWorks which is updated regularly. Do you think I am wrong in not installing Srvice Pack 2?

TomJerry 15:20 06 Mar 05

quote from net search

"If you have:

1. a MESH computer; or,

2. an ASUS mb; or,

3. an ATI video card; or,

4. an AMD 64 processor

think carefully"

But I believe there are fixes for most problems. not sure for Mesh.

stalion 15:43 06 Mar 05

personal choice if you want to install it, if not it's not a problem there are still regular updates for sp1

Mr Mistoffelees 16:00 06 Mar 05

I have an Asus motherboard and have had no problems with SP2.

gudgulf 18:20 06 Mar 05

The Asus problem was only with certain models (like the p4p800's) and P4 Prescott processors fitted.

spuds 19:42 06 Mar 05

Haven't Microsoft produced a compatibility product sheet.Thought they had, if so, could be worth a look.

My SP2 disk is still waiting to be installed.Like wort, still hearing some dread stories, so why upset my computer!.

bremner 19:44 06 Mar 05

IMHO it is foolhardy not to install SP2 - probably 99% of users have experienced no problems and their machines are more secure because of the upgrade.

Don't listened to the doom mongers.

ade.h 21:08 06 Mar 05

Ah, but some of those "doom mongers" may just have a point; I had cause to regret setting eyes on SP2 after installing it yesterday. I'm glad I backed up all my business files to my laptop because I have a dead PC sat under my desk!

It was probably due for a fresh re-install anyway....

Tony The Bike 21:13 06 Mar 05

I have a asus M/B and no problems, all went well.

gorgo 18:03 07 Mar 05

as I have auto update running service pack has been installed. I didn't find any problem until i installed a microsoft wireless optical keyboard and mouse...I have now found that I can't access any of the help file named mk:@MSITStore:c:\ProgramFiles\MicrosoftIntellitypePro\ithelp.chm I have asked at the local Tiny dealer but despite tinkering for a couple of day all they could come up with was the suggestion that it was 'something to do with the service pack 2 installation, stopping access to the help files/user help' and 'perhaps you should try re-installing XP' As a bit of a novice I'm not sure whether they are just trying to get me to buy a new pc or what.

ade.h 22:23 07 Mar 05

If that's the only glitch that has appeared so far, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It may even have nothing to do with SP2 and more to do with the software installation for Intellitype Pro. Try re-installing that first as per the product manual. As for that old chestnut "try re-installing XP", it's a far too common get-out that some "experts" resort to when they're stumped!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…