Serif MoviePlus X3 Offer, - Genuine or a Scam?

thegreypanther 08:29 24 Aug 10

I have just received an email from Serif inviting me to purchase MoviePlus X3 for £19.95 instead of the usual £60 or so.
In addition. the offer if replied to by 5.00 p.m. on Wednesday 25th August guarantees free delivery, plus a bunch of other inducements.
I would very much like to purchase the offered product, but am hesitant in case this is some sort of scam. The old rule of "if it's too good to be true etc.....".
To be fair, I already use one of Serif's products (Page Plus) and am delighted with it.
The email sent to me seems to be related to this purchase.
How can I be sure that this is a genuine offer, and not part of something devious?

bjh 08:35 24 Aug 10

Serif do do these emailed price reductions... some down to "silly prices", so the email itself may well be genuine. I have bought (some time ago) a couple of bits of software from them via knockdown email prices.

So, I'd say it's probably genuine.

birdface 10:39 24 Aug 10

Nothing on Google about it.
If you were a previous customer it may well be Ok.
But if you have not used them before and you get an e-mail I would be wary.

HondaMan 10:51 24 Aug 10

X3 is about ready to be uopgraded to X4. All the other suites have been, PagePlus, WebPlus, DrawPlus and PhotoPlus so it is probably OK.

thegreypanther 11:02 24 Aug 10

Many thanks for the advice bjh, buteman, and HondaMan.
Being a "newbie" at movie editing, V3 as opposed to V4 should be more than adequate for me.
I'll give it a go, and send off for this product.

ventanas 11:47 24 Aug 10

Yep, this is the way they work. You will have to register with your personal details and get a release key, otherwise it won't work. Once the new version is out you will be "encouraged" to upgrade at a lower price.
Having said that their software is relatively cheap and does the job.

spuds 13:13 24 Aug 10

If the email details mentions Nottingham and a 0800 freephone number, then assume it is genuine. You will soon find out when you phone the number.

Like previously mentioned, Serif make these 'low priced' offers from time to time with previously registered customers. I often get various special offers, when a product is being upgraded.

Perhaps an hint of warning. Sometimes when these offers are made, the telephone agent might try to persuade you to purchase the instruction manual for the product. Think before you agree, even though it should come with a 30 day no quibble refund guarantee. Manuals can be expensive.

Kevscar1 12:51 26 Aug 10

Try this instead

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…