Second Hand XP Disc

ened 06:54 16 Oct 06

If you buy a disc from a charity shop which gives all the appearances of being legitimate, including the original case with the authentication code etc.

Presumably it has been validated before so what happens when you try to validate it?

Taff™ 08:41 16 Oct 06

If it is an OEM disc - it will say this on the packaging or the disc - you cannot use it because of the pre-registration. Similarly with an Upgrade disc you would need to have a legitimate copy of a previous Windows OS installed on the computer.

If however this is a genuine "Full Version" of XP with hologram you could install it on your computer. You would almost certainly have to validate it by telephone explaining that you have bought the original disk (Get a receipt)and have the original packaging. Confirm that you have only installed it on one computer.

The only trouble with this is knowing if it has only been installed on one computer. Does the Charity Shop know where this disc came from? I suspect not, in which case there`s a chance that the CD Key is in use somewhere else. I`m not sure that Microsoft will be able to tell if they give you a new activation code. Maybe the Charity Shop might consider the situation and allow you to buy the disc on approval.

spuds 11:54 16 Oct 06

If its genuine and sealed- no problem.

If its a genuine Microsoft XP Retail and not a Dell, HP or similar perhaps a Far East disc, then again I would suspect - no problem.

OEM ?.

ened 12:35 16 Oct 06

OEM ?.

It is an official cdrom with Microsoft hologrammed all over it.

But (now that I have looked at it closely) it does say 'Only to be distributed with a new PC'.

It isn't costing much and it is for charity but I just wondered what will happen if I try to validate it.

spuds 13:51 16 Oct 06

Looks like a distributor disk ie Dell, HP, approved computer builder outlet.

Try it and WGA may find it?.

hijo 16:50 16 Oct 06

this happened to my mates laptop a month ago he gave me hislaptop to format back to DOS & gave me this disc that he belived had XP home in,when i poened the disc after formatting his disc & ready to install his "OS" (operating system) i found that there wasnt any disc inside although on the wrapping it said " this is for a new pc only"...so "ened" b4 u buy it make sure that there REALY is a disc inside it & its not been misstaken for a copy of XP..good luck if its in there & it works deal of the centuary

hijo 16:51 16 Oct 06

ooo guys iam sooo sorr my english was "pants" then very sorry but i know u'll all understand..i was doing in a pizza whilst typing..mmm

Taff™ 12:54 17 Oct 06

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer like Dell HP or any other computer manufacturer. Unless there is a detachable sticker on it which is supposed to be fixed to the bottom of the new computer I suggest you don`t bother - it will have been registered previously. Even then someone has probably used the CD Key to register the software.

red dragon 18:47 17 Oct 06

If this disk is hologramed as stated above then I will be an original disk Not OEM.

As for activating it, I have activated and reactivated my copy many times after hardware upgrades.

If it cheap but it.......its for charity after all!

Red Dragon

Simsy 06:14 19 Oct 06

are "hologrammed" as well...

It's "Restore" discs that aren't.

Regards,

Simsy

DieSse 10:33 19 Oct 06

OEM discs....

are "hologrammed" as well...

Absolutely true - I have one in my hand as I type.

The words 'Only to be distributed with a new PC' confirm that it is an OEM version such as is sold to small system builders (as opposed to a customised OEM version as used by the major system builders).

The problem is - knowing whether the Product Key has already been used. Even if the "sticky label" is with the disk, and even if the package is still sealed, that is not a guarantee that it has not been used.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…