SD/MMC......Which one?

tanzanitre 12:09 15 Dec 03

Can someone tell me what the difference is between SD AND MMC Cards,and which is the better of the two? Its for a dv camcorder i just bought which came with an mmc card! Also wheres the best place to buy them from! Thanks!

Diodorus Siculus 13:05 15 Dec 03

SD is a newer technology - so it is likely to be faster / more stable. That at least is the reason I was given when asking which to buy for my digicam.

I have bought them from sevendayshop, novatech and expansys click here

Stuartli 13:57 15 Dec 03

Postage stamp size Secure Digital and MultiMedia cards are, in the vast majority of cases, fully compatible.

Secure Digital is slightly faster than MMC and, therefore, usually costs a little more.

I use both types for my Minolta Dimage E203 digital camera and don't notice much difference in practice.

Here's a link to a comparison chart for SD versus other memory cards, including MMC:

click here

Stuartli 14:03 15 Dec 03

Further to above, do be sure to ascertain whether your dv camcorder is actually compatible with both memory types; as I said it's true "in the majority of cases", but it's not gospel.

tanzanitre 15:00 15 Dec 03

Yip it will accept either,so can u use both types together?

Diodorus Siculus 16:38 15 Dec 03

tanzanitre - you cannot use both types together unless your camera has two slots - not many do. Mine has a slot for a sony memory stick and a sd/mmc card and both the memory stick and one of the sd/mmc can be used.

tanzanitre 16:58 15 Dec 03

Thanks for letting me no that,also to upgrade the memory would i need to use one card with 256mb rather than several cards totaling up to 256mb.What im trying to say is can only 1 card be placed or can you use several of the same sort?

Diodorus Siculus 17:15 15 Dec 03

Yes, you can use as many as you want - take out one and put in another when ready. Better I think to have 2 x 128Mb rather than 1x256 - that way if one is damaged, the other is ok.

Stuartli 17:35 15 Dec 03

My Minolta only has one slot so I've not much option..:-)

I have an 8MB SD card which came with the camera and bought a 32MB MMC at the same time - I get more than 100 pix at medium resolution (32MB) and, if I do ever require prints, the setting provides excellent standard size prints such as 7x5 or 6x4.

tanzanitre 21:22 15 Dec 03

Yeah il get two 128mb just incase!Are they easy damaged?

Diodorus Siculus 21:46 15 Dec 03

tanzanitre - no, not easily damaged from what I can see. I don't take special care of mine and they never have any problems - just avoid scratching them I suppose.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…