Scan..... again

Muzziad 11:04 02 Sep 03

I purchased a 120gb HDD in March, one of three which were to be part of a system build. Last month it failed, so I contacted Scan for an RMA number to return. I spoke to the chap on the line who was very helpful and said that although they could not send a replacement until the original had been tested for a fault, if I purchased a replacement immediately they would refund for the failed drive, not replace.

Unfortunately I did not get the guys name, as about two weeks later I received a replacement, not a refund. I contacted their customer hotline and was told very sharply by a none too pleasant lady that 'we don't make that sort of arrangement, we don't have to because you are only legally entitled to a replacement not a refund.'

I accept that they have done all they are legally bound to do, but I thought morally, having already agreed a satisfactory solution, they could at least stick by it. I then contacted by e-mail their customer service explaining the situation, but surprise surprise i received no reply.

This problem was so easy to solve, yet they did not even have the courtesy to acknowledge my e-mail.

As an aside, the replacement HDD i purchased also has problems, but i've sorted them by partitioning around the faulty sectors of the HDD, i've lost a few GBs of HDD space but I really can't be done with the hassle of contacting Scan again. Since January this year I have spent over £3,000 with Scan. From now on my business goes elsewhere.

-pops- 14:25 02 Sep 03

£3,000 may be a significant amount to you but, in Scan's scheme of things, it's not even a tiny blip. They won't miss your custom, there are plenty of other customers ready to take your place.

It is unfortunate, yes, but that's how modern internet based businesses behave. Scan are not at all unusual in their practices.

seancblack 14:53 02 Sep 03

perhaps you should try aria click here, I moved to them from scan, and dont regret it one bit.

Muzziad 15:26 02 Sep 03

I am well aware that £3,000 is a minimal amount to Scan, but what other option does the small consumer have? Should I just shrug my shoulders and put up with it? It just seems that the same names crop up here again & again, Scan being one of them.

And i disagree about that being the way internet based businesses behave. I have had problems a couple of times with other companies, notably Amazon, and their customer service has been exceptional. In some cases a replacement has arrived at my door before I have even dispatched the faulty original.

Rayuk 15:53 02 Sep 03

Why not rma the replacement drive direct to the manufacturer.
You have got round the problems--for now but it can only get worse.

-pops- 11:32 03 Sep 03

You can disagree as much as you want but the fact remains that there is a tendency for many internet based companies to behave the way that Scan does. They are "box shifters" and anything that disrupts the normal flow is a nuisance which many of them have difficulty coping with. Providing customer service costs money - which would then mean price increases.

You may not have had real problems with Amazon but, I have when a book I ordered didn't arrive. I complained and after being ignored for weeks I was effectively told I was trying to pull a fast one as they had posted the book to me. Just over six months after that the book arrived having been addressed to Papua New Guinea and being transferred from country to country for more than half a year trying to find my town and street address. They never did believe me, even when I sent them the packing with all the destinations on it.

DIYgirl 11:51 03 Sep 03

In my opinion (I used to be a consumer jounalist) you were legally entitled to a full refund, not just a replacement. This is specified in the Sale of Goods Act which says something like, if something is not adequate for the purpose for which it was sold, then the customer is entitled to a full refund or a replacement--at the customer's choice. You don't have to accept a repair, either.

It is almost always possible to make companies comply with the law, if you can be bothered: write them a detailed, polite, reasonable letter in which you describe the problem, what steps you hve so far taken, and how you want the issue resolved: and then at the end, put a list of people you are copying the letter to. MPs, councillors, journalists, Watchdog, trade assoviations etc. Try to get at least 20 names on the list. It has worked every time for me. I don't even mention what I do for a living--I save that for later!

jimv7 12:38 03 Sep 03

A friend of mine had an altercation with scan last year, a matter of the cpu not being paid for but not sent.
However with the help of tireless help of smithy99 he took scan to court and won.
The moral, Don't be fobbed off by scan.

jimv7 12:39 03 Sep 03

Oops, cpu was paid for but not sent.

-pops- 12:44 03 Sep 03

I am not for one moment suggesting you should accept Scan's response to your problem, just don't be surprised by it - they won't care unless you maks a huge fuss about it as suggested by DIYgirl.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…