Scams on Ebay

MichelleC 18:11 01 Feb 04

A word to the wise. Apologies if this has already been covered.

Apparently bargain hunters are being led down the garden path on some top deals on monitors, dv recorders and pc equipment, which are not quite what they seem. Several advertised items, for example a 19" Flat panel Monitor only £55, was nothing more than an explanation of where they might be found at that price. That vital information is usually buried at the bottom in the small-print of the description. At least 8 sales have cropped up since Xmas. According to Ebay [as related by Trading Standards] a bidder paid £72 for a 'link where you can get a flat screen monitor for £55'.

-Beb- 19:08 01 Feb 04

This is very true. There is also another scam in the molbile fones section. This one is a bit weird, but what I remember is that you pay money for information which leads to a website, where you pay £20 for a CD, and when more and more people keep paying the money, your name goes up on this 'pyramid' style scheme. When your name gets to the top you get a free fone. How long will that take?...

kev.Ifty 21:53 01 Feb 04

check out these two sites might be useful to people who shop with less well known companies click here and click here

ajm 22:26 01 Feb 04

One of my work colleagues recently fell victim to one of these Ebay Scam. The seller was selling a lot of 20 Nokia mobile phones at a vastly reduced price. Despite my efforts and pleadings to my colleague not to pay the money, he went ahead and paid. End result: A very depressed and out-of-pocket-of-£3000 friend and no mobile phones.

These scammers rely on the ignorance and greed of their innocent victims to make them part with their money. Often the sellers of these items have "hijacked" the ebay accounts of legimiate sellers and use it for fraudlent purposes.

ajm 22:40 01 Feb 04

have a look at this website

click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:41 01 Feb 04

Nearly all the 'plasma 42" TV for £20/phones for £20 etc.' state clearly that ALL you are buying is a link to a here

If people are dense enough and greedy enough not to realise that a £3000 item cannot be 'bought' for £20 ish then they really deserve to lose money as they cannot be trusted to handle it.

This is the UK site that people are selling the link here

mole44 08:00 02 Feb 04

old addage "if it looks to good to be true it usually is"

MichelleC 08:46 02 Feb 04

I suppose some people are gullible, which is why unscrupulous traders make money out of them. BTW I'm glad you're not working for Trading Standards GANDALF <|:-)>, ;0)

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:27 02 Feb 04

The sellers are NOT being unscrupulous....they clearly state that all the punter is buying is a link to a website. If people are gormless enough to bid up to £200 for this link then they are not to be trusted with any money. If these people used even part of their addled brains they would guess that if they could buy plasma TVs etc. for £tens, then the seller would have been better doing that and flogging the items on Ebay, he/she would have made loads more money. This is not even elementary maths.

A Cat Called George 20:23 02 Feb 04

Have to say I agree with the old wizard. You must be carefull when buying on Ebay and use your head. If you cannot spot such obvious scams then give your money to a responsible person for safe keeping.

MichelleC 21:56 02 Feb 04

Alas, some people will always be foolish with money, but are they not worthy of some form of protection? Some of the people conned had trusted EBay at face value, and not everyone can understand the small print.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…