Scam email purporting to be from PayPal

Al94 19:44 26 Oct 04

Warning - and I'm sure this has been documented before but no harm in restating. Received email today which looked like it was from Paypal, here is the substance of it

Military Grade Encryption is Only the Start

At PayPal, we want to increase your security and comfort level with every transaction. From our Buyer and Seller Protection Policies to our Verification and Reputation systems, we'll help to keep you safe.

PayPal is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its community of buyers and sellers. To protect the security of your account, PayPal employs
some of the most advanced security systems in the world and our anti-fraud teams regularly screen the PayPal system for unusual activity.

Recently, our Account Review Team identified some unusual activity in your account. In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement access to your account will be limited. This is a fraud prevention measure meant to ensure that your account is not compromised.

In order to secure your account we may require some specific information from you. We encourage you to log in by clicking on the link below and complete the requested form as soon as possible.

click here

Ignoring our request, for an extended period of time, may result in account limitations or may result in eventual account closure.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is
a security measure meant to help protect you and your account.
We apologize for any inconvenience.

PayPal Account Review Department

PayPal Email ID PP522

The link takes you to what appears to be a PayPal site where you are asked to enter your email and password. The address bar however shows the following address click here
It all looks very convincing and the unamare could easily be taken in.

Al94 19:47 26 Oct 04

PS the first link in the email looked like a PayPal link but took you to the address evident.

I'm not 100% sure this is a scam!

I got the same e-mail and logged into paypal through the address bar (not the link in the e-mail).

The information in my paypal acoount seemed to back up what was said in the e-mail and I had to go through some security checks including an automated phone call (they call you).

Have you tried logging into your account your normal way just to check?

Al94 22:58 26 Oct 04

Yes, checked account, entirely OK.

The first link you have posted is to a real paypal site & matches the one I was sent. The second one is a well dodgy one.

I wonder if I got the real, genuine e-mail which the scammers have copied.

You got me paranoid now though so I've changed my password again :-)

I think the best advice to anyone getting any emails like this from any source is to log into your account through a trusted method - dont use the links in the e-mail.

(Even paranoid people have enemies!)

g0slp 07:27 27 Oct 04

€dstowe 08:24 27 Oct 04

I have received similar emails purporting to be from PayPal.

I know it was a scam because I do not have, never had, nor ever will have, a PayPal account.

€dstowe 08:27 27 Oct 04

P.S. I've also had them from Lloyds TSB, Citibank, Barclaycard and HSBC.

They all go into the same cyber waste bin.

Al94 08:52 27 Oct 04

Thanks for the feedback folks. The interesting thing is that when I got the email, I forwarded details to Paypal. Since my first posting, the first link in the body of the email now goes to a genuine PayPal link as pointed out my [email protected], originally it too went to the same as the second one I posted i.e. the one that contains the address Does that mean the original link that looked genuine in the email had been hijacked?

Al94 13:23 27 Oct 04

Just received the following response from PayPal. You did the right thing T&M

Thank you for bringing this suspicious email to our attention. We can confirm that the email you received was not sent to you by PayPal. The website linked to this email is not a registered URL authorized or used by PayPal. We are currently investigating this incident fully. Please do not enter any personal or financial information into this website.

If you have surrendered any personal or financial information to this fraudulent website, you should immediately log into your PayPal Account and change your password and secret question and answer information. Any compromised financial information should be reported to the appropriate parties.

If you notice any unauthorized activity associated with your PayPal transaction history, please immediately report this to PayPal by following the instructions below:

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…