This is a scam?

Storik 20:31 28 Apr 06

I believe this email is probably some kind of scam and should be deleted. I would never give my bank details out over the internet - but can someone tell me if this is what is known as 'phishing' or is that something else?

"Dear Valued HSBC Customer

We believe that, as in everything else, you deserve the best in banking too. Therefore protective measures is been applied to satisfy our striving customer needs. Our technical service department is currently upgrading our SSL servers to enhance adequate banking security,to give our customers a better, fast and secure online banking service this YEAR 2006. Due to the recent update of the servers, you are kindly requested to please confirm your banking details by following the link below. .

click here

HSBC Bank Plc
Security Advisor

Because I don't bank with HSBC Bank PLC - I have deleted this email.

VoG II 21:07 28 Apr 06

rmcqua 22:19 28 Apr 06

Dangerous stuff - get rid of it.

remind 22:35 28 Apr 06

Getting plenty of those at the moment, and Alliance and Leicester phishing emails. Mozilla Thunderbird catches every one. click here

Stuartli 23:17 28 Apr 06

If y ou don't appreciate the fact that no genuine financial institution ever requests personal details online then you will always be vulnerable.

Storik 08:47 29 Apr 06

I'm not very well up on all these weird and wonderful words that are used on the internet, blogs, phishing, and all the others.:-)

Now I know what phishing is and thank you for the education.

PS I did delete it after copying to post here and find out what sort of scam it was. :-)

spuds 11:10 29 Apr 06

If I do not receive an 'official' email from a bank or financial institution at least once a week, asking for all my personal details,I get withdrawal systems and refer the matter to the Banking Ombudsman :o)

spuds 11:16 29 Apr 06

Whoops, forgot to add these interesting websites click here click here click here

Micky 494 22:10 01 May 06

Absolutely agree with VoG and rmcqua, this is definitely "phishing" where some unscrupulous third party is trying to hijack your personal banking details. I have internet banking and my bank regularly advises that they NEVER ask for personal banking details in this way. Dump any such requests and always report these to your bank or building society.

PUNKA 22:14 01 May 06

Strange that spuds,where my bank account is concerned my wife suffers withdrawal symptoms too.LOL.

Aspman 09:04 02 May 06

One clue in the text is:

"Dear Valued HSBC Customer"

The bank will always call you by name, phishers will always call you customer, sir etc.

I never reply to bank emails at all or ebay, paypal etc. I also never go to those sites via links in emails or online I always type them in.

Links in emails can be obsficated, which basically means it looks like - click here, but you actually go to - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…