//some 3rd party need geo

SatNat using laptop

Joey D 11:20 05 Aug 04

Does anyone have any experience/opinion on setting up a laptop as a cheap alternative into the satnav world. I,m toying with the idea but would like to know if it,s a feasable possibility. My laptop runs Win.XP,has 60GB HDD,3.02MHz processor so I assume it would be suitable. Is it just a case of connecting a GPS positioner to a USB point & running the appropriate software...AutoRoute 2004 or is there more involved ?
Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

anchor 14:20 05 Aug 04

Your thread title I think you meant to be SatNav, (not SatNat).

Have a look here, this should give some contacts for more info:

click here

click here

click here

click here

anchor 14:40 05 Aug 04

I recently returned from a 2500 mile tour of France. I used the Tom-Tom Navigator, and it was marvellous!. It connects to a PDA and speaks to you with directions. The route directions are also displayed on the PDA, which is attached to a holder on the windscreen. It is thus clearly visible to the driver.

The level of mapping is extraordinary, showing even the smallest roads, and every city street. Far greater detail than Autoroute. If you have to divert from your route, it immediately recalculates. Have a look here:

click here

Highly recommended.

The cost is about £270 all in, complete.

g0nvs 19:25 05 Aug 04

My son uses a laptop with usb gps works well but don't think the laptop hardrive will last long with his van bouncing around.
I have just bought a TomTom Go, expensive I know, but a superb gadget.take a look here. click here
Good luck.

Joey D 16:41 06 Aug 04

Thanks for the info guys.
It appeares there is more choice than I originally thought. I,ll view these site & try to make my decision accordingly.
Thanks again, Joey D.

anchor 09:28 07 Aug 04

The Tom-Tom Go is without doubt excellent, and is attractive & convenient. However, I decided against it for two reasons.

Firstly, it is significantly more expensive than buying a PDA and the Tom-Tom-3; secondly unlike the PDA system, Tom-Tom Maps of Western Europe are not compatible with the Tom Tom Go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…