Satellite Navigation

VNAM75 19:57 25 Mar 06

I want to get a car sat nav unit but dont know how to decide. Do I go for a main unit like a Tom Tom or a PDA unit? I'm looking to spend max £280.

rdave13 20:05 25 Mar 06

I've got a Dell Axim pda with Tom Tom installed. It works fine but if you run out of battery power then you'd have to reinstall Tom Tom. I believe that a dedicated sat nav unit, although not better or worse to find your way,is better as there should be no hassle in reinstalling. My next sat nav purchase will be a dedicated machine.

NORFOLK SPARKY 21:06 25 Mar 06

At the sort of money tou wish to spend get a dedicated one as I don't belive you could get a worthwhile PDA and sat nav for £280

g0slp 05:08 26 Mar 06

I bought the Garmin StreetPilot i3 from Maplin

click here

& am very pleased with it. It hasn't got all the 'bells & whistles' of some other units, but frankly I don't miss them.

I bought the optional external antenna as well at the same time (only £10), but haven't actually needed it on either of our family cars; the unit gets good enough signals without it.

It's nice & small too, & the camera database installed easily.

Al94 10:54 26 Mar 06

The Garmin i3 is here at a good price at the moment click here

g0slp 11:00 26 Mar 06

Thanks for spoiling my day...

Even better value!

pj123 15:06 26 Mar 06

I don't want to start a debate/argument or even hi-jack this thread. Just something I don't understand.

I thought there was some sort of rule that said anything with a video screen cannot be situated within the view of the driver? How do these Sat Nav things overcome that?

g0slp 15:35 26 Mar 06

Isn't it TV screens? (ICE setup).

If it was illegal for satnav screens to be in the driver's view then apart from them being useless other than voice commands we would have seen a ban several years ago. Remember that these things have been available in top-range brands for years, so if there was a legality problem then Inspector Knacker would have been on the case....

I know what you mean though. The possibility of distraction is one reason why the display is small, albeit clear. One has to place the display away from the direct view from the driver's line of sight, which should be common sense anyway. I'm sure that it'll be covered in the Highway Code - will see if I can find a link.

It'll be less distracting than the furry dice (or worse ;-) ) that one sees dangling from rear-view mirrors...

Al94 16:09 26 Mar 06

Some views on that issue here click here

mahalo 16:22 26 Mar 06

We have the Evescham 7001, not impressed ! A week after we bought it, it came down in price by £60 .

g0slp 17:19 26 Mar 06

(The furry toy was mentioned - LOL!)

My set is located at the bottom of the windscreen - behind it in my line of sight is the bonnet, so I'm happy with where it is.

If i change either car for something where I would be obstructing my view on the windscreen, then a dash mount would be required & my external aerial would be used...

Interestingly, I was watching a programme earlier today about Traffic Police. They have mobile phone holders, radios, camera display unit etc etc mounted on their dashboards/windscreens, far more obtrusively than the wee set I own.

Obviously if you stick a set on the middle of your line of sight then you're asking for trouble, but tucking it at the side should be OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…