Satellite Broadband ???

ski 'n' ski 14:43 23 Apr 03

I live that little bit too far from the local exchange which hasn't yet been ativated anyway..... so I'm hoping someone can suggest an alternative. Is satellite broadband a good, reliable option for a home user?

Does anyone use it and how are you getting on with spead, reliability etc.

Goldcroft 15:22 23 Apr 03

No doubt others may be more precise, but remember from earlier threads that you need to be quite rich. Have you done a search for postings on satellite and broadband?

ski 'n' ski 16:04 23 Apr 03

well....... a search came up with a thread dated 24.5.02. Hopefully there has been some advancement since then and someone may have some more useful information.

Goldcroft 16:29 23 Apr 03

Don't know what you put in ski 'n' ski, but I put in satellite in first box and broadband in second and came up with a PCA posting dated 10/4/03. The mag was looking to do an article including satellite broadband, but there was only one reply from someone who was thinking about it. There was a website mentioned: click here.

Pretty certain I remember several other mentions, but the search facility is not too hot. Just a thought, but have you put the words into google?

3Toed 17:32 23 Apr 03

Not sure what your intention is here for use of sat.bb-i considered it as apart from browsing and downloading,i like to play games on the net.but due to having same restrictictions as yourself i have to use a 56k(also as goldcroft states)i seem to remember reading somewhere its quite expensive.
While playing one day i saw a comment on screen about time lapse from 'satellite'was causing great aggrevation for this player-just thought i'd inform you.It seems its not as 'instant'as land BB.It probably is just as fast,but depends on your use.

ski 'n' ski 22:14 23 Apr 03

Do you know anyone who uses everywhere broadband?

Goldcroft 07:23 24 Apr 03

You don't appear to have done what I suggested yesterday and put "satellite broadband" into Google. Haven't got the time to go through all the entries in detail, but try this link:

click here

Timbo 09:20 24 Apr 03

I get the odd problem with my satelite reception if there is heavy ran or snow - how would this effect the broadband connection?

Aspman 14:58 25 Apr 03

Timbo you might well notice a drop in perfomance during bad weather but I doubt it would stop completely.

Sat BB is expensive, I looked into this for work for a while, BTs offering is very expensive and the service (from what I've heard) hasn't been very good. You need a seperate land line to send requests 56k or ISDN which is an additional cost they usually don't mention. Also BT has already started capping present users.

On a positive note if you Live in the Highlands and Islands region of scotland the local authority is subsidising satBB.

1514 22:50 25 Apr 03

Have a look here ski n ski
click here

ski 'n' ski 11:02 26 Apr 03

Thanks 1514. This looks interesting. Do you use them?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos