A Santander Tale

Mark5001 17:13 25 Dec 10

I got a letter in the post last week asking me to call a fraud policing unit within Santander, saying my debit card was at risk. Did not notice any problems with the bank, but called the number, an 0845 one. Taped message the other end asking me to input my account details. I of course didn't, but rang Santander customer services. They said my card was ok and no flagged problems, but were not interested in the letter at all, even after explaining I could not tell it apart from a genuine letter from them. Beware of this if you get one and just ignore it as I was told to do. Yeah right of course I will. E-mail now sent to the CEO to deal with and a complaint against the operator who took the call.

961 17:24 25 Dec 10

As a family we have banked with Abbey National for very many years

Since takeover by Santander we have found service standards have declined massively and the staff seem totally unable to help however much they try and however many ex gratia payments they send to apologise for the disasters we have encountered

They no longer enjoy our custom

birdface 21:01 25 Dec 10

Maybe I have this wrong and maybe it was another Bank but going with the news on the TV they posted out over 15.000 accounts to the wrong householders last week.
If it was not Santander maybe someone can post the bank details of whoever it was.

birdface 21:07 25 Dec 10

35.000 it was by a Spanish bank.

click here

spuds 21:50 25 Dec 10

It was only recently when they had their wrist slapped for sending letters to (media report-thousands) customers stating that direct debit payments had not been paid,and a £20.00 fine was being imposed. Apparently, "this was an error", and Santander had to correct peoples accounts and credit records.

It seems as though they are having many teething problems, with their takeover plans?.

spuds 21:50 25 Dec 10

It was only recently when they had their wrist slapped for sending letters to (media report-thousands) customers stating that direct debit payments had not been paid,and a £20.00 fine was being imposed. Apparently, "this was an error", and Santander had to correct peoples accounts and credit records.

It seems as though they are having many teething problems, with their takeover plans?.

D@ve 00:16 26 Dec 10

is that there is very little a bank can do about such letters apart from educate its customers to watch out for them and be able to identify them, which they already do. Thousands of letters (and emails) like these get sent out every week, and Santander is most likely already fully aware of them.

ams4127 16:48 26 Dec 10

In Santander's defence.....

A few weeks ago I got a recorded message from Santander asking me to call their fraud department and gave me the number.

I called them and was taken trough the most thorough vetting process I have ever known. At the end I finally got to speak to a human who informed me that a withdrawal of 98p had been flagged against one of my accounts. I then had to go through all my recent transactions and confirm them.

Speaking later, the person said that the sum of 98p was often used by fraudsters to see if the account number was valid. If so found, then the next withdrawal would be a big one.

I was instructed to destroy my old card and received a new one (and PIN) a few days later.

So, if you receive a phone call from them asking you to call their fraud department, it's well worth doing so. The identitiy rigmarole will sonn convince you that it's real.

ams4127 16:50 26 Dec 10

Bank Holiday blurr...Sonn = Soon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…