Sanning negatives & slide

tinyclanger 14:05 11 Jul 05

Can anyone suggest a good scanner for slides & negatives. I have been looking at the epson perfection 3170 and the write up is pretty good for results received. But if anyone knows of anything better I'd be grateful

pj123 15:34 11 Jul 05

I have the Epson 3170 and the results are very good. Not exhibition quality but good enough for me. I also have a dedicated film/slide scanner (35mm only) Primefilm film scanner 1800u which Jessops are now selling for £69.99. When I bought it, it was £124.99. click here

Happy Soul 18:29 11 Jul 05

The Epson Perfection 2480 Photo gives very good results, at the moment £70.88 at Novatech.

Whether you decide on the 2480 or 3170, you can save time, when scanning slides and film, by switching to manual. It's faster than when on automatic.

shizzy 22:16 11 Jul 05

If you have one of the old slide viewers you can get away with taking a macro photo with a digital camera. Best done in low light or the dark even. Not perfect but at least you can get the pictures onto the PC.

Beachy 07:45 12 Jul 05

If you want good quality prints at A4 size from negs and/or slides, a dedicated film scanner is a must, but one point to be aware of is that perfectly clean negs/slides are required (ie. free from ANY dust scratches), as such imperfections are 'magnified' on the resulting print. Therefore, when choosing a dedicated film scanner, it is best to choose one with ICE included in its software, to automatically remove any dust/scratches during the scanning. I don't think that Jessop's 1800u scanner (mentioned by pj123, above) has this, but their PrimeFilm PF3600 does. I have an old version of this scanner which didn't have ICE and am very pleased with its resulting prints, other than the need to remove ALL dust before scanning (I need to use a magnifying glass to view each slide and even then I miss some very small specks, thus needing to reclean and rescan the slide to get a 'clean' print.

Diemmess 12:45 12 Jul 05

Your choice must be made dependant on the size of your final prints.

The best of flatbeds with added facility for slides and negatives will do a job, but won't satisfy the keen photographer - amateur or professional.

If you really want to be able to make large prints then you must use a dedicated scanner. The prices tend to be upwards from the top range of flatbeds.

Happy Soul 18:34 12 Jul 05

Just to add. I recently scanned 6 colour negs. for a friend who used to be in the Photographic & Graphics Design at the BBC. The pictures were taken on a Hassleblad. I used my 2480 using restore old photos, printed them 10 x 8 and his comment was 'Unbelievable, they are almost perfect and the colour is better than when I had some done conventionally'. My printer is an Epson R300, set to Photo Quality, and I used Epson Glossy paper.

Should the original pictures not be of high quality, I always add a cnavas effect before printing, this tends to hide any imperfections.

tinyclanger 20:53 13 Jul 05

To everyone who commented, thanks ever so much for your help. I'm almost sure I'm going to go for the Epson 3170.Hopefully I'll get decent results.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple