Samsung d900 cracked screen

eh? 21:09 27 Feb 07

Hello
My husband bought a samsung d900 from Carphone Warehouse on Sunday just gone and the same evening noticed that for no reason the screen had gone a bit strange. When I took it in to the shop the bloke said it was clear that there was a "pressure point" on the screen and that it was in fact cracked. It is not insured or apparently covered under warranty. I argued that it had happened without any "pressure" from him, in fact it has still got the plastic cover on and had been switched off and on the bedside table overnight, but he wouldnt budge and said it would be £40 to repair it. I have searched some forums and it seems this screen fault is very common with this phone, does any one else have this problem?

v1asco 21:22 27 Feb 07

Try this Forum click here

usually very helpful

One of my friends got that phone on contract and the same happened to his on the first day. It was in his pocket while driving when it happened so wasn't exactly mis-used.

He sent it back and got it replaced free of charge but I think he may of told them that it was like that upon delivery.

eh? 18:44 28 Feb 07

Thank you to you both for that.
I tried to take it back but was told "it is the customers fault, so the phone is not covered under the warranty" No amount of arguing would change his mind so I suppose I will just have to get it repaired! So, anyone thinking of buying one-beware!

terryf 20:04 28 Feb 07

Go to your local Trading Standards and ask for help 'item not of merchantable quality'

I am Spartacus 20:04 28 Feb 07

I would contact Samsung directly and explain the problem.

irishrapter 20:05 28 Feb 07

As far as I know in the first six months, under consumer law, it’s up to the retail to prove that the fault is down to the customer.

I would write to the head office telling them that the phone was damaged when (or shortly after) you purchased it and that you want a new one.
Tell them that if they are not willing to assist then you will be force to make a compliant to the DTI/OFT and possible bring them to the small claims court.

Is the phone on contract?

Did you pay for it by credit card? (If so, you maybe be able to claim of the credit card company if it’s over £100).

Go click here for some info on buying phones.

irishrapter 20:07 28 Feb 07

Quote from the above link:

Your rights

If you have bought a mobile phone, it must be of satisfactory quality, fit for its purpose and as described.

When a mobile phone doesn’t meet some or all of these conditions, follow the advice below:

If you have only had the phone a few weeks or haven’t had a reasonable opportunity to check it, you are probably entitled to a refund for a fault or poor description, or alternatively you may request a replacement.
If the fault is only minor and can easily be put right, it is reasonable to accept a repair. This won’t stop you claiming a replacement or refund if the repair turns out to be unsatisfactory.
If you have had the phone longer than a few weeks or have had a reasonable opportunity to check it, you are probably still entitled to a repair or replacement. A repair should be carried out within a reasonable period of time and without causing you significant inconvenience. Any repair should restore it to a satisfactory condition. If this does not happen, you are entitled to a replacement or compensation. This could be a sum of money or the cost of having somebody else repair the phone.
If the phone cannot be replaced or repaired economically, you are entitled to a refund. The trader may make a reduction from the price you paid to allow for the use you have had from the phone.
If you are out of pocket in any other way, you may be entitled to compensation over and above the price of the phone.

The trader must sort out your problem, not the manufacturer

Remember, if you are entitled to a refund, replacement, repair or compensation, it is the trader who must sort out your problem. The trader cannot tell you to go back to the manufacturer or to claim through a guarantee or warranty.

Chaz10 22:03 28 Feb 07

check this

The cracked screen is a software problem with the phone. I spoke to Orange, & they said that Samsung will replace it free of charge. The fault code for this is (FW116 Faulty Screen). Quote this when you speak to some one.

click here

pavvi 08:58 01 Mar 07

Thed trouble is that normally the only reason a screen will crack is because of physical damage or quick changes in temperature. Both of these are excluded from the manufacturer's warranty. My suggestion would be to speak to the store manager and ask him to send the phone away to get looked at. As a store manager for CPW myself I have done this and the repair has been done free of charge. Please note that in this instance that I am speaking as an individual and is therefore not a company response.

I always advise customers who buy a d900 not to keep anything else in their pocket as the screen is easily damaged by other objects.

Samsung have said nothing official about this particular aspect. The store manager will be unable to return the phone altogether because there is 'apparent' damage to the phone. If he were to do it he would personally lose money from his own wages.

Be reasonable with the manager and get him to send it off with some notes on the repair form that you are insistent that no damage has occurred and it will be looked into sympathetically.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…