S-ATA AND RAID?

rickimalone 15:22 17 Jun 04

I know I should really know this but after being questioned about it the other day I realised that I dont fully understand it.

I have in my Mesh Matrix 3000+ FX, a S-ATA 160GB hard drive which I think i'm right in saying offers me a higher transfer rate of data than the ata-133 drives?

What I dont fully understand is RAID and the RAID ARRAY terms used with newer HDD set ups?

If anyone could answer this or point me to a site with an explanation with possible benefits it would be great.

That Bloke 16:32 17 Jun 04

RAID is a method of setting up multiple hard drives so that data is not lost should one of them fail. They can also provide much faster response times than a single disk, and so are often used in situations where HDD access speed is a factor such as Servers or high end workstations, especially when doing multimedia work.

A RAID array can be setup using any disk technology, but will need a RAID controller in order to manage them. At the cheapest end this may be managed by the Operating System, but it is far better to use a dedicated hardware RAID Controller. This will present the array as a single disk to the OS.

click here has some pretty good explanations.

cycoze 19:31 18 Jun 04

Another site click here with a RAID Tutorial .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…