Router suggestions

smokingbeagle 09:34 16 Jul 04

After a bit of leg (finger?) work, I have identified this click here
as my choice. I am after a wired adsl router/firewall/print server. Does anyone have experience of this model or comments or suggestions for alternates ?

Magik ®© 12:05 16 Jul 04

the review was not very good......

smokingbeagle 17:07 16 Jul 04

I am open to steer on what to buy. The print server needs to be serial unless there is an adapter / cable for serial to USB

carolyne 18:14 16 Jul 04

i gave up on routers because i had many problems with port forwarding, etc. in the end i brought a second hand p2 pc (but anything will really do) a network switch and downloaded ipcop (wich is free). this set up cost less than a router and is the best router/firewall/home network machine i have ever had, although it does take up a little more room than a standard router

smokingbeagle 19:21 16 Jul 04

Pls read parallel where it says serial above

wallbash 22:49 16 Jul 04

Have had a smc Barricade 700 abr for 18 months now, so I cant compare it with others but have found it suitable for me. Orig had an Epson 750 so had to have a parallel port on the router!

So when I changed had to find a printer with another parallel port! (Canon i865)

Was/is my first network but had no installation problems.Price has dropped !!!

Only small niggle. cables go in to router from all directions, so had to make up a small wooden box to tidy up the cables ,
To sum up, it does the Job for Me!

wallbash 22:58 16 Jul 04

About the cable

quote The print server needs to be serial unless there is an adapter / cable for serial to USB

Many people will tell you yes, BUT they are not knowing wot you require which is a
25 way D type male to a USB 'B'
I could not find one, hence the Canon

The Spires 10:11 17 Jul 04

I am very pleased ith the SpeedTouch 510, but cheap it's not, however I have had no problems with it.

smokingbeagle 19:16 17 Jul 04

^bump^

smokingbeagle 01:22 21 Jul 04

Final ^bump^

flying grouse 18:36 21 Jul 04

check out a netgear router DG834, easy to setup and use, only remember to upgrade to newest firmware which the manual explains how..........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…