Rogue diallers and BT

beeuuem 23:36 13 Feb 05

For anyone who has had a problem with rogue diallers this click here makes interesting reading.

Although the article refers specifically to BT I would assume the same principle also applies to any telephone service provider.

Salinger 00:24 14 Feb 05

It will be interesting to see if any action will be taken click here

beeuuem 00:34 14 Feb 05

Didn't see the earlier posting :-)

Jonks 00:38 15 Feb 05

This is the first message I have ever posted! If you get your phone bill online, you can check recent calls made. At least you would know if premium rate numbers were being dialled.

Jackcoms 09:17 15 Feb 05

This article begs 3 questions:

Why did the author apparently not have any anti-malware software on his PC which would have stopped the rogue diallers from being installed?

Was he not aware that you can ask BT to block calls from being made to premium rate numbers from your 'phone line?

Did he not have a firewall on his PC which would have stopped the diallers from 'phoning home'?

spuds 09:58 15 Feb 05

Jackcoms-- It would appear as though he is an American visitor to these fair shores ;o)

Good reading though,and if the end result is that people end up with a good response from BT and the likes, then it can only be a good thing in the long term. Considering that the article seems to suggest that BT are more involved than they would appear, then things need to be tightened up, possibly by Ofcom imposing more strict regulations.

Jackcoms 10:18 15 Feb 05

I agree with you!

However, I'm sure that even "an American visitor to these fair shores" would have heard of firewalls and anti-malware software, wouldn't he?

Hang on a minute, though, I've just spotted the weakness in my argument - he's an American. ;-)

gedr 15:17 18 Feb 05

Come now!! don't you think we should be attacking the problem, not the people. :-)

gedr.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…