Review winning product doesn't exist!

danhanjon 07:59 02 May 08

I eagerly awaited the 17th April magazine launch and immediately decided to buy the Arbico CD8520XL which scooped best budget desktop. For several days it didn't appear on the Arbico website so I e-mailed them and was told it would be there by Friday 25th. It wasn't so I bought a Mesh Elite Q4 machine instead (more memory, bigger monitor, bigger hard drive, same price). The Arbico machine is STILL not on their website. Surely there should be a commitment to actually offer the machine if they submit it for review? It feels like they put it there to get a headline, but do not intend to sell the machine - bait and switch is what the industry calls it. Anyone else had this?

Horik 08:30 02 May 08

Same thing happened to me; Arbico were one of several potential suppliers I looked at - specifically I was interested in the CD8520XL as you were, but couldn't find it on their site.

I ended up buying a Cougar Extreme instead. Arbico haven't done themselves any favours here, it seems.

HondaMan 09:42 02 May 08

in order to keep the rating given that a particular company had to offer the specs tested for a period otherwise the rating would be withdrawn.

FE would you care to comment?

GaT7 13:25 02 May 08

I notice that the Arbico CD8520 XL click here comes with very good 512Mb 8800GT graphics, while the Mesh Elite Q4 click here has a poor 256MB 8400GS.

If one customises the Mesh with a 8800GT, the price increases to £863.50 - that's a lot more than Arbico's pricetag of £749. If you were looking to play some of the latest games on the Mesh, unfortunately you'll have to put that on hold. G

GaT7 13:28 02 May 08

If you did want the better graphics, you can always cancel your Mesh order if it's not too late. Then go for something else with better graphics & within your budget. G

jack 14:10 02 May 08

For a given spec must be limitless, added to which parts availability may mean the machine delivered is not exactly as advertised.

Perhaps going to an outfit such as click here
and getting yourself exactly the components you desire is the way
It may cost a bit more but you get what you want rather than some compromise.

GaT7 14:41 02 May 08

You usually get best value & components these days building your own.

Dell are usually best value, e.g. click here - btw, those prices include(d) VAT & del. G

Forum Editor 18:16 02 May 08

to this without some investigation, and unfortunately everyone has left the office now. To make matters worse it's a bank-holiday weekend, so I'm afraid it may be Tuesday before I can update you.

I've emailed the company myself to see if they'll offer an explanation, and I'll get back to this thread if and when I receive a response.

arbico 18:49 02 May 08

Hi

I just wanted to confirm that the CD8520XL has been on the website for the last week. Arbico have a policy of releasing PC Advisor review PCs on the Arbico website in the last week of the month in which the magazine is released for mass circulation.

The CD8520XL can be seen at this link click here

I would be happy to answer any queries related to Arbico Computers, if you email me at [email protected] or call me on 08456 252627.

Kind Regards
Farooq Ahmed
Customer Services
Arbico Computers Limited

Forum Editor 18:57 02 May 08

arbico emailed me separately to confirm that the machine in question has in fact been available online since 26th April.

Horik 22:43 02 May 08

As the site search I carried out on the Arbico website this morning still wasn't showing any results for the CD8520XL - a search glitch perhaps??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…