returns postage for faulty goods

gibfish26 21:01 29 Sep 09

hi all,purchased a item from a trader on ebay.only recieved it on friday it is a twin cordless door chime,yesterday one of the recievers stopped working even when i plug it into a socket next to front door,it has a range of 50mtrs.i emaled them this morning but have not yet got a response so just emailed again.under his returns it says for faulty goods buyer to pay return postage.i thought under distant selling regs the seller has to refund the postage costs for faulty goods or am i wrong.anyone shed any light on this.thanks.

Stuartli 21:13 29 Sep 09

You'll find the information with regard to the DSR at:

click here

Stuartli 21:16 29 Sep 09

Also:

click here

gibfish26 10:34 30 Sep 09

stuartli just been looking through your links and as i thought seller is liable for return postage on faulty goods.i have recieved a e-mail from him this morning asking me to return the item.thanks.

Stuartli 10:47 30 Sep 09

Pleased to help. No reason why a customer should have to meet the cost of returning faulty goods.

In fact decent on-line retailers or any other business will provide an RMA in such cases and reimburse any costs incurred in sending back faulty goods.

Kevscar1 13:01 30 Sep 09

Surely you checked his terms before buying.
If someone has that stated I don't buy from them. Just not worth the hassle

spuds 17:11 30 Sep 09

If you are looking for a wireless door chime system, and you have a Wilkinsons store in your area, try there. I have recently purchased a very good bit of kit (one transmitter, two mobile receivers)for around £10.00.

GaT7 18:15 30 Sep 09

Well, it so happens that I'm in a similar situation (having purchased something else though).

PDF of Stuartli's link click here, so one can easily copy/paste sections if necessary (thanks for the original link Stuartli). Stuartli, you of course correct if it is a standard retailer.

I've just been in direct phone contact with PayPal (PP), & they informed me that eBay/PP follows different rules compared to UK DSRs regarding this kind of situation. Unfortunately, the cost of returning a faulty item rests with the buyer.

gibfish26, if you were able to somehow argue the case in your favour, then good for you :-). It looks like my seller isn't budging, & I'll have to spend £10-15 to return the faulty item :-(. G

Stuartli 18:25 30 Sep 09

The second link was for the e-Bay Ts and Cs.

Still doesn't prevent anyone being annoyed at having to pay for the return of faulty goods - that should be the responsibility of the supplier and rightly so.

spuds 18:35 30 Sep 09

"Unfortunately, the cost of returning a faulty item rests with the buyer". It doesn't matter what eBay/PP say. If the auction item is sold in the UK by a business/trade seller, then the DSR applies.

In the case of a faulty item, then the seller/retailer would be responsible for 'all costs', which may well include full purchase price including postage and handling charges, plus return postage or collection/delivery charges.

Like most things, the final outcome would be proving the item was faulty, and whether the hassle of getting the item refunded or replaced a worthwhile venture.

I have two cases on at present with eBay, and all I can say is that 'confusion begets confusion'.

GaT7 18:59 30 Sep 09

spuds, you may be right.

However, just going through eBay's official policies (Stuartli's link is a user review) regarding this, & the seller can specify their own return policy. Relevant info in these 2 links:

Return an item - click here

Know Your Rights - click here

From the 1st link:

"Return P&P costs

Sellers specify return postage information such as who’s paying for return shipping and their return shipping address in their return policy. You should read their return policy carefully, before returning an item.

In general, the seller is obliged to pay for the return shipping unless they have specifically provided, within their returns policy, that they require the buyer to pay for it. Learn more about return postage costs and your legal rights and obligation."

My business seller's terms state the following: "Return postage is to be paid by the buyer", so looks like I'm stuffed.

"Like most things, the final outcome would be proving the item was faulty, and whether the hassle of getting the item refunded or replaced a worthwhile venture." - you make a good point there. I could possibly 'repair' the fault by spending £20-25 - i.e. a little more than it would take to return the item. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…