Returns to PC World - entitled to refund?

pc_sausage 15:10 30 Apr 06

I bought a Netgear router it from PC World (today). I had to break into the shrink wrap and open the packages inside to set it up; however, everything is back in it's place and accounted for.

My reason for return is that it's not fit for purpose (either through a fault or something on my part I'm missing). I do not want a replacement - will carry on with my old router.

Am I entitled to a full refund, having opened the packaging and trying to set it up - or are they entitled to only offer a replacement or store credit etc?

In anticipation of resistance, does anyone know the correct sale of goods act(s) to quote?

Ta

SG Atlantis® 15:30 30 Apr 06

you bought it by mistake, or rather after opening you found it's not suitable?

Im either case you aren't entitled to you a refund.

However most firms offer a "peace of mind" guarantee to take back items in their original state within 28 days for refund or exchange.

Not sure on PCW policy, just be nice and explain.

SG Atlantis® 15:33 30 Apr 06

Apologies for the bad grammar.

pc_sausage 15:33 30 Apr 06

I bought it to replace a router that was playing up.

It physically looks like it's connected, but cannot find an internet connection - despite trying all the usual tricks to get a router working.

Will try and take it back tomorrow.

Cheers

SG Atlantis® 15:35 30 Apr 06

Tell them it's faulty... and you want a refund. That's the easiest thing to do.

pc_sausage 15:38 30 Apr 06

Cheers

namtas 19:41 30 Apr 06

And it is the thought that I may just be buying someone's previous purchase that makes me refuse to purchase anything that comes out of stock with a dodgy looking box or broken seal. In this instance what are PC world to do with your test piece? For all you know your computer may have damaged it.

If I had a business retailing technical parts I would do as the motor trade do only return if faulty and withhold money until the item was checked.

PS Don't think Atlantis is serious.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…